L3200HST stubborn hot crank

mkc1962

Equipment
2012 L3200
May 17, 2011
Valley Grande, Alabama
Ive had the misfortune of buying a few tanks of bad diesel in the past 6 months. Engine did not run long at any of the events, but each time involved having to clean the entire fuel path. I now inspect all diesel prior to purchase. Anyway, Tractor is back to running just fine, But it seem to have a problem cranking when Hot. Meaning, Ive run it for maybe 30-40 minutes, shut it off for as little as 1 minute, get back on it, and instead of instant crank, it just turns over. I have to engage the glowplugs for a few seconds then it cranks.

Is there any sort of sensor in the air intake or combustion chamber that maybe could have gotten coated due to the above bad fuel condition?

2012, L3200HST 150 hrs

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Possibly dirty injectors? Unless its cranking unusually slow then i would lean towards a weak battery or starter on its way out. Dirty air filter, wouldnt hurt to pull air filter and try it. Just dont run it for any extended period without it.

mkc1962

Equipment
2012 L3200
May 17, 2011
Valley Grande, Alabama
Injectors were on my list of thoughts...I havent looked on this tractor,but dont assume they are terrible hard to remove and clean or just run some system cleaner in the fuel..Air filter is spotless and very strong cranking, Starter is also new as it was replaced under warranty just last year.

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I promise you - if you use something like this filter - it keeps alllllll the crap out

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Funnel-AF1...1454696290&sr=8-3&keywords=fuel+filter+funnel

true - it does slow down filling, my problem is guestimating when the tank it full, last time I spilled about a 1/2 quart down the side, but this funnel/filter is amazing as to WHAT DOENST get in the tank.

Messing with dirty fuel is a PITA , I wish I could filter it AS I pour and see the height of fill in the tank at the same time- might have to rig up something so I can pour and "see"

But this filter is well worth the trouble far!:)

eddiebob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, JD 40
Mar 23, 2014
Poplarville, Mississippi
I promise you - if you use something like this filter - it keeps alllllll the crap out

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Funnel-AF1...1454696290&sr=8-3&keywords=fuel+filter+funnel

true - it does slow down filling, my problem is guestimating when the tank it full, last time I spilled about a 1/2 quart down the side, but this funnel/filter is amazing as to WHAT DOENST get in the tank.

Messing with dirty fuel is a PITA , I wish I could filter it AS I pour and see the height of fill in the tank at the same time- might have to rig up something so I can pour and "see"

But this filter is well worth the trouble far!:)
Well worth the little loss of time. I use it at the pump and then again when fuel is added to the tractor. Get one! Ed B

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
You can buy the mister funnels at auto parts stores as well. Just picked up a big one to handle more volume for the shop :rolleyes:

mkc1962

Equipment
2012 L3200
May 17, 2011
Valley Grande, Alabama
Many thanks for the tip and reminder....I actaully had one of those a few years back, and of all things ran over it and crushed it with my old tractor.:eek:...need to get another.

But right now need to get this stubborn crank feature fixed.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Have you completely drained you tank to insure all the dirty fuel has been removed?

Have you used any conditioner in your fuel to help clean your fuel system?

I filter all my fuel before it goes in my equipment but as a added step I installed a Dahl filter as a primary on my L3000. Except for the time someone (being a ass) put straight water in my transfer tank I have never had a fuel related issue. They are still carried by Baldwin and in my opinion worth the money.

Attachments

mkc1962

Equipment
2012 L3200
May 17, 2011
Valley Grande, Alabama
Have you completely drained you tank to insure all the dirty fuel has been removed?

Twice Ive had to in the last year. Last time removed the tank so I could clean it as much as possible. Even flushed all the lines with carb cleaner and air.

Have you used any conditioner in your fuel to help clean your fuel system?
I normally run Stabil in all my fuel year round, but yesterday added Diesel kleen to a full tank of good fuel and ran it for a few hours. Going out this morning to see if it made any difference. The one time I tried to crank it yesterday a few minutes after a shut off it cranked right up.

The new Kubota filters are no longer spin on type, but actually more like the old fashion see through vessels that settle out any debri or water and can be visibly see, but inside they also have a removeable element filter. Ive rarely ever have had more than about 1/8" seen inside, which I usually clean out as soon as I notice it. But the last most recent batch of bad fuel was so thick in whatever it was, it saturated everything. For sure need to resume filtering either at the pump or before putting into my tank. Ordered me a new Mister.