L3010HST governor questions.

Marty394

Equipment
L3010 w/ Cab, RCR 1560, RB 1584, SMC Loader, KK II 60" Gear Drive Tiller
Feb 28, 2010
Wisconsin
I've noticed lately that it seems that when digging with the loader with the RPM at about 2200, in 4wd, the engine will bog to almost a stall. This seems to happen when digging into a pile while pushing forward. RPM will also drop when using the brush mower in heavy wet grass to the point it will almost stall if
i don't back-off the hydro pedal. Is this normal or should the governor kick in to compensate? Not too familiar with governors, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Sounds like you have a dirty fuel filter to me. Even if it's not to the point that it makes the engine skip or miss it will rob power when you really put a strain on it.

Marty394

Equipment
Feb 28, 2010
Wisconsin
I suppose that's a possibility, but I changed it last fall.

Marty

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I suppose that's a possibility, but I changed it last fall.

Marty
Hi Marty,

Diesel fuel is bad to grow algea in it and it won't take long to stop your filter and injectors up. If you already had algea in your fuel tank or your fuel supply even with the fall filter change this still could be your problem. If it was me I would try to change the filter again. When you take the filter off look at the fuel that is in the filter. Dump it out and see if it had small black looking specks in the fuel. They are very small but can be seen easily in good light. If it has these you have a algea issue and need to run some diesel conditioner in your fuel to remove this. Run a couple of tanks from full to as close to empty as you can so you will get as much of a flush out as possible and change your filter again and you will probably be okay. I would run some kind of additive in your fuel on a regular basis so this problem won't return. Not only will this help your filter and fuel to stay clean it will help your entire fuel system.

Marty394

Equipment
Feb 28, 2010
Wisconsin
I do run Sea Foam in it from time to time, but it has been a while, since winter. Filter sounds like the cheap place to start, and probably some 911? Not sure how the Sea Foam is for algae removal. Any other suggestions?

Bob

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Be sure you look at the filter and the fuel that comes out of it. If it has small black specks in it then you will know for sure if you have algea.

Lorddafttractor

Equipment
L3130
Dec 29, 2009
Trenton, NJ, USA
Hi Marty,

My L3130 does the same thing - bogs down when I put it under load to scoop with the loader (even though I'm already at 2200 rpm or so to start). I thought the governor would kick up the RPMs in that situation to prevent a stall. How did you resolve your problem? Did you have algae as some have suggested? Please advise.

Thanks,
Lorddafttractor

Marty394

Equipment
Feb 28, 2010
Wisconsin
Well, I haven't changed the filter as of yet, just dealing with the issue. It doesn't to be as much of an issue working on this last weekends 22 inch snowfall. But I've been keeping the RPM's up, and using a low enough gear range to help keep the RPM's up. Went through 15 gallons of fuel last weekend without any stall outs. Granted snow is not as heavy as loading dirt or gravel, but it did get quit a work out. Maybe too much of a work out. Had a hydraulic hose rub through on the bottom of the cab at 1:30 a.m. sun. morning. Caught the boss at work sun. a.m. and made a new hose. The hard part was changing it at -15 degrees F. Then got home mon. eve to find the tractor had a bad ignition switch.

Bob

Lorddafttractor

Equipment
L3130
Dec 29, 2009
Trenton, NJ, USA
Brutal, Bob! Sorry to hear about the hydraulic hose, and having to fix it in the bone-chilling cold. Doesn't get down to minus 15F in N.J., but at least our auto insurance is through the roof!

I plan on checking for algea in my fuel tank & changing the filter, probably won't get to it for at least a month, will post results when done.

Thanks for sharing the info,
Sam

Theekillerbee

Jun 28, 2009
Pleasant View UT, USA
I might be up in the night on this one, but I think a diesel is only governed by the amount of fuel it gets. Not familiar with the newer computerized models, but the older ones (to my slim knowledge) have no true "governer" A diesel is all about how much fuel you dump in the thing. That's why kids nowadays are souping up diesel trucks instead of gas ones. If you were not having this problem before, it's likely cause is a lack of fuel. Sounds like the filter is the easiest place to start. Let us know what you find out.