L3010 hst

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
Typically when you have a function going south when the fluid gets warm or thinner, you have some wear that's causing a bleed off of pressure.

You need to get it into the dealer and have them pressure test the hydrostat after it's been under load to create heat in the system by running a piece of equipment or a hydraulic load tester.

With out the service manual in front me and some test being done first. I can only assume looking at the parts break down that the HST swash plate on the forward side has some wear or possibly be warped? Causing the slipper feet on the pump rotating group to lose contact or bleed off pressure.

Pat

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Need to pressure test for forward servo or relief valve failure. If it has power in reverse then swash plate and rotating group are OK.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Need to pressure test for forward servo or relief valve failure. If it has power in reverse then swash plate and rotating group are OK.
First thing to check is the pedal linkage etc looking for obvious damage or interference. The linkage has several parts that can get bent, broken, blocked.

Inside the HST the rotating group could have a seal plate leak that would affect one direction. Internal repairs can be expensive so its good to know as much as possible before tearing into it.

It would help if you describe its behavior a little more. When its hot will it move forward in any gear range (L, M, H)? Does it make any new hissing noises? When it starts from cold, does it operate normally in forward and in reverse? Any speed differences? How many times has this happened? Always after running?

My L48 has the same HST unit as the Lxx10 tractors. When I got it, forward was fine but it had nearly dead reverse (worked weakly in L and M). It had a regulator issue affecting reverse. TBN thread here.

BTW, the high-pressure relief valves for forward and reverse are identical so they could be swapped as a test. If its a relief valve issue the problem should swap directions.

With more detailed description of how it acts it will be clearer to know what to look for. I found very little diagnosis or repair info is available - even in the WSM. Kubota's advice for many kinds of malfunctions is to just replace the whole HST unit. This one is priced around $4400 plus labor. Dick B

Last edited:

mlivengood

Equipment
L 3010 HST
May 13, 2016
Worthington, Pa.
Thanks to all who replied, Tractor runs fine for about 1/2 hr. than it will start to get slower moving in forward no matter what range it in. It has no noticeable noises. Tried switching relief valves from reverse side made no difference. Has all new Kubota oil & filters.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Troubleshooting an HST can be tricky - not to mention potentially hazardous. I've sent some ideas to you by PM. Dick B

jeb

Equipment
L3010HST
Feb 1, 2015
ohio
I'd check the relief valve for forward. Could probably swap it with the reverse and see if problem follows and you lose reverse

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
I'd check the relief valve for forward. Could probably swap it with the reverse and see if problem follows and you lose reverse
Uhm he did that already see permalink #5

I already knew that was not going to work because relief valves bypass or stick open when having trouble which means if they are bad the don't work at all. The OP says that forward gets weaker or slower when the oil heats up.

Pat

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Is it one that also has separate forward/reverse neutral valves?

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Uhm he did that already see permalink #5

I already knew that was not going to work because relief valves bypass or stick open when having trouble which means if they are bad the don't work at all. The OP says that forward gets weaker or slower when the oil heats up.

Pat
I have found a few L series that had relief valves fail intermittently. They can start out working and then quit and work again later.