L3000 clutch problems

Darren

Equipment
mowing light loading
Mar 18, 2010
Danville Iowa
Hi guys.
I am a long time Kubota owner I had a B7100 liked it a lot but was kind of small so I bought a L3000 DT Kubota with La 450 kubota loader the tactor I have had since new back in 2000. The tractor started giving me problems after about 20 hours clutch was grinding and hard to put into gear I took it to the dealer I bought it from In Carthage ILL. They told me it was in my head and just not to be riding the clutch I told them I didnt ride the clutch and have been on many clutch tractors before Green and Red. I ended up taking the tractor back two more times at 70 hours I was fed up I told them they needed to come to my house drive this tractor . When they showed up I video taped them trying to get the tractor in and out of gear and the grinding that was going on. At that point they admitted yes there was a problem. They also told me it was my fault for riding the clutch and they would fix it at my expence.So I made an lot of phone calls to to feild reps in Ohio and again they said it was my fault so then I got the name of The VP of Kubota in california I wrote him 3 or 4 times and called daily he finally agreed to fix my tractor . Now let me tell you this Kubota has been babied its whole life I use it for mowing around our pond and at that point only one load of gravel. Well long story short I now have 172 hours on this Kubota and I needed gravel this year so I got two loads now this would be only 3 loads of gravel that this tactor had ever been used for and the bucket was virtually never used. So I started lifting gravel to fill the holes and it started happening again tractor would not go into reverse and I could smell clutch getting hot but I had to use just so my wife and I could get down our lane gravel was blocking road so the tractor stopped working in reverse for the most part in high side and now really only works on the low side. Kubota is Quoting me some major numbers to replace clutch and telling me it is once more my fault guys any Idea what is going on with this tractor is it just not heavy enough to move anything with the bucket and can you get better made clutches out there or is this tractor only an 18,600 toy that is not made to do any real work please help. ps no surprise feild rep from Ohio Dave Miller, says again my fault.

Last edited:

joekimtkd

Equipment
B7510DT, 4' Snow blower, 4' Loader, 6' Blade, 6' 3PH Finish mower, 6' box blade,
Aug 16, 2009
Durham Ontario Canada
I'm so sooooorry for your troubles on your Duh~Bota~!

I have B7510DT and having gear grinding trouble too but dealer says it is totally nomal. but how could you say it is normal? When you disengaged clutch means nothing supposed to turn beyond that point, Don't you think?

I did all clutch pedal adjustment, gear oil changed and so on... but trouble is still there~:cool: So now what I do is changing gear quickly. Don't give it a chance to staying in Neutral for long. Quickly put it into any gear without hesitate then it is not grinding at all.

When I bought Cub cadet Zero turn mower, I was start using it right away. 'cause they told me everything is ready to go. and a couple times of use I decide to grease them and guess what~?! Mower deck has three blades and I supposed to grease them on that bearings. but once I started it takes forever fill them up. Going and going and going~ by the time I fell to sleep, it start shows over flow...:eek::eek: Was it totally ready to go? Do you think~???

And control lever wasn't tatally aligned either. so I had to do again myself.

Those mechanic in the shop, didn't do their job properly but Sales rep don't agree their fault~! and we have to swallow those ourselves~

I hope we don't get same trouble like Toyota has~~~~~~!!!:cool:

Joe.

Last edited:

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
I'm just wondering but how could they be so quick to blame a person riding the clutch? If they have never seen you operating the tractor then how would they know if you do or don't?

Like Brother Joe was hinting at, this seems like Toyota's floor mat response.

Scott

ValveJob

Equipment
L3400DT Loader Boxblade
Feb 6, 2010
La Fayette, GA
Hi guys.
...tractor started giving me problems after about 20 hours clutch was grinding and hard to put into gear I took it to the dealer....
I'll take a swip at this. Does your user manual indicate a secondary clutch adjustment for 3 places on the flywheel? The reason I ask is because I have a L3400DT. I have minor grind when changing gears. I adusted the peddle play. There is a secondary adjustment to be made through a cover in the flywheel housing.

I see you have a loader. Guess what...That little cover is on the side about an inch behind the mount for the loader (on mine).

Now another thing. If I go to use the PTO...MAJOR GRIND! I'm guessing I need to make that other adjustment and plan to. It will be a little while untill I do it. I don't need the PTO for a while but I am going to do it.

My guess is that you had a clutch/adjustment problem and that now it may be worn out, primarily from having to get this thing in gear with a clutch/adjustment problem.

Let me know about that secondary adjustment, if you have it. They may not have removed the loader to make that adjustment.

Tom

ValveJob

Equipment
L3400DT Loader Boxblade
Feb 6, 2010
La Fayette, GA
WOW! I'd say that's a damn good swipe and really great advice :D

Scott
Thanks Scott. I apprectiate that.

And Vic, thank you for the service bulletin info on some L3000's. Shame some dealers are quick to blame the operator. I'm sure they are few. Seems to me the gears grinding are not from a worn out clutch anyway. If a clutch is already slipping and you stomp on the clutch peddle, seems it should remove the transmission from the engine even more.

I was curious about this secondary clutch adjustment since I have to do it and have to drop the loader to do it. All new for me (tractors and orange also). I'll report back after I do mine but it will be a few weeks.

Anyone with a L3400DT chime in if you have done this. It is standard proceedure in the owners manual. Looks like it should take 30 minutes (if the loader is off).

Thanks guys,

Tom

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Thanks Scott. I apprectiate that.

Tom
Tom,
You are very welcome. Your post was very presice, detailed and to say the least extremely helpful. It's your kind of input that is really helping this forum.

Thank you,
Scott

Darren

Equipment
mowing light loading
Mar 18, 2010
Danville Iowa
Thanks for a lot of great advice. I will be taking loader off and I hope it is not to late to adjust clutch. Les from Messicks Kubota was kind enough to send me instructions and pictures on ajustment. I will keep you posted how it goes. I did go and drive it around today now that the tractor has sat and I guess cool there is no grinding or any problem going into gear. I did not use the bucklet but I was very encouraged by that, but I guess I wont know untill I dig into it?

Last edited:

joekimtkd

Equipment
B7510DT, 4' Snow blower, 4' Loader, 6' Blade, 6' 3PH Finish mower, 6' box blade,
Aug 16, 2009
Durham Ontario Canada
Thanks for a lot of great advice. I will be taking loader off and I hope it is not to late to adjust clutch. Les from Messicks Kubota was kind enough to send me instructions and pictures on ajustment. I will keep you posted how it goes. I did go and drive it around today now that the tractor has sat and I guess cool there is no grinding or any problem going into gear. I did not use the bucklet but I was very encouraged by that, but I guess I wont know untill I dig into it?
Would it be possible to share me that instruction~?
Mine is B7510DT but at least principle is same, I hope... :rolleyes:

Thank you.

Joe.

ValveJob

Equipment
L3400DT Loader Boxblade
Feb 6, 2010
La Fayette, GA
Would it be possible to share me that instruction~?
Mine is B7510DT but at least principle is same, I hope... :rolleyes:

Thank you.

Joe.
Same here Darren. It may be the same as mine (LT3400DT) and what is in my owner manual but I'd like to see it too, just in case there is more info.

Thanks,

Tom

Darren

Equipment
mowing light loading
Mar 18, 2010
Danville Iowa
Sure I can send it to someone if they would care to post or send me your e-mail. I will forward it to you,after work tonight.

Last edited:

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
As requested by Joe, I have converted the pdf to images.
The pic's are only as good as the original pdf scan quality so that is why they are a little funky.

A big thank you to Darren for providing the pdf :D

There are 13 images so I will split in into two posts.

Page 01

Page 02

Page 03

Page 04

Page 05

Page 06

Page 07

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I hate to hear about your trouble with your dealer. I also have a 2000 model L 3000 DT like yours. I have used it like a work horse ever snce I got it. You don't have to worry about having a toy not a real tractor. I have spread or moved more than a 100 loads of rock and dirt over the years without any issue. I load rolls of hay with mine also. I use it to till gardens, rake hay, keep 14 acres mowed with a 6' finishing mower, do my close quarter and ditch line bushhog work, and even have a backhoe to go on it. This little tractor can do it all so you shouldn't doubt the capability of yours. I had a small problem with the hydrolics when mine was new and the dealer I bought it from tried to give me the runaround. After I got that problem worked out I promptly changed dealers. I was only about 10 miles from the first dealership and now I have to drive about 30 miles to the new one but the customer satisfaction is well worth it. It may just be luck but my new dealer was the first tractor dealership to carry Kubota tractors when they came to America in the 70's. Maybe they get more respect from Kubota than others do. I no they have always been able to get my problems fixed for me without any hassle. Maybe a new dealer could be what you should look at getting if possible. As far as getting parts go, I can call my parts man and he has them shipped to my door from Kubota. All I pay is the price of the parts. That kind of service is hard to beat. I hope you can get your clutch trouble worked out.