L2950GST....No Low PTO

Fly Attack

Equipment
L2950DT-GST
Mar 25, 2018
Califonia
HI All, New to the forum and Kubota. Recently picked up this tractor ( L2950GST 4x4 ) with known issues. First; the clutch needed replaced. second; the rear PTO only works in High. Nothing when put in Low.

So, here is where I am with this project. I split the tractor and found that the pilot bushing was in bad shape. it was froze up and was lacking half its balls. The clutch disc itself had no splines. I can only assume that it was just free wheeling in there???? Actually there was only 1 bolt holding the clutch housing to the flywheel housing, everything else was stripped or broken.

I bought a used housing on ebay, and I've ordered everything I need to get the clutch back into operation. Its been a pretty easy and smooth job so far.

My question , has anyone had a similar issue with the PTO. Any trouble shooting ideas. and how necessary will the low gear be. I'd like to run a post hole digger and maybe a brush hog. will the low gear be vital with those kind of operations?

Id' like to kick this around a bit and think it through before I put this thing back together seeing how I'm halfway to a trans separation anyway.
Thanks for your advice and input.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Do you mean the pilot bearing? This doesn't have a bushing, and a bushing has no balls. :D

So with a dual disk clutch being bad, you sometimes won't get low range because it takes more force to turn it.
So before you jump at stripping it further manually turn the PTO input shaft and have someone watch it turn the PTO output in both High and Low Range.
And Yes low range is 100% needed just about everything you run will run in low range 540RPM and not at the 1000RPM high range.

Do you have the WSM?
If not just ask I have it, and it shows the complete breakdown and linkage setup.

It might be as simple as the PTO range fork or lever not inline or a roll pin sheered, mine had both issues. ;)

Fly Attack

Equipment
L2950DT-GST
Mar 25, 2018
Califonia
Yup....totally meant pilot bearing. Thanks.

This is a single dry clutch. does the same hold true for the Low PTO. I'll turn it by hand tomorrow while watching, and see what happens. Thanks for the tip.

Yes I have The WSM. Thank you for the offer though.

With any luck, tomorrow and your tip, will show that I will not need to venture any deeper at this point. Thanks for your help. I will post progress posts.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yup....totally meant pilot bearing. Thanks.

This is a single dry clutch. does the same hold true for the Low PTO. I'll turn it by hand tomorrow while watching, and see what happens. Thanks for the tip.

Yes I have The WSM. Thank you for the offer though.

With any luck, tomorrow and your tip, will show that I will not need to venture any deeper at this point. Thanks for your help. I will post progress posts.
Oh yes single clutch, Sorry, I missed the GST part..I have the same in a L3450GST.
And yes it still holds true, low is 540RPM and High is 1000RPM, and a slipping clutch will make the PTO slip more in low range than high range.
Do you still have it apart? If so you will be able to watch the PTO linkage inside the clutch housing to make sure it's pulling and pushing the PTO Engagement rod back and forth, this is one of the roll pins that shears.
Were you getting a definitive high and neutral but no low, and tractor movement when either was engaged?

Last edited:

Fly Attack

Equipment
L2950DT-GST
Mar 25, 2018
Califonia
I never actually saw the tractor move. When I bought it you couldn't disengage the clutch. I've done my share of wrenching to know what it was and it couldn't be that hard to replace a clutch in this thing. I figured at the time of purchase, worst case scenario that I could sell the FEL and recover any cost. ( I got a good deal ) I think he went to the dealer and got scared/talked into a new one, which was sitting right next to this one.

I definitely saw 1000 RPM's and neutral, Nothing when at 540RPM's except maybe a bit of free wheeling which coincides with clutch slipping. The linkage and rod all seems to be good and I can feel definitive bumps when engaging all; L/N/H.

I actually Stopped at the dealer while trailering the tractor home and he claimed that either the fork was dicked or the gear was stripped. I know he was probably worst casing it, but it's no wonder the kid dumped this thing. Now after looking at the WSM that seems unlikely.

If I hold the PTO while it is engaged in Low (540RPM), am I right to assume that I should feel resistance when trying to turn the main shaft?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If I hold the PTO while it is engaged in Low (540RPM), am I right to assume that I should feel resistance when trying to turn the main shaft?
When you hold one end and turn, the other end will turn if it's not messed up.
OH, note: It will give you a loud CLANK if turned backwards, that's normal, it's the one way cam/clutch doing it job. ;)

Last edited: