L2850 starter problems

kubby 2013

Equipment
L2850, L3400, Jd 5103, MF 205 Ind., IH364, Jd 410 backhoe/Loader, Jd 350 Dozer,
May 13, 2013
Old Town, Maine
I've had this problem for years, Starter will not engage ..nothing... I take the side panel off an tap the starter lightly and away it goes. Replaced starter years ago but still had the same problem. Problem is intermittent but if tractor has been sitting for several weeks it usually will not crank. If I am using it regularly it seldom bothers. Any suggestions?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I've had this problem for years, Starter will not engage ..nothing... I take the side panel off an tap the starter lightly and away it goes. Replaced starter years ago but still had the same problem. Problem is intermittent but if tractor has been sitting for several weeks it usually will not crank. If I am using it regularly it seldom bothers. Any suggestions?
Pull the starter and clean the mating surface as rust there will stop it from getting a good ground.

Also check the solenoid wire for a break or bad connection.

Max360

Mar 15, 2016
Auburn, NY
I had the same problem with mine for several years. Had a friend check everything out, and he finally agreed with me that I needed a new ignition switch. $48 later, it's great to turn the key and have it start.

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
On top of what the others have said, remove the battery negative to chassis ground, clean/repair or replace/grease/tighten, both sides of it, battery side and chassis side. Do the same at the starter. Wire brush everything to a shine, that a cable terminates on, at both ends. Use electrical (star) washers where you can.

What you describe, could be any number of problems. Bad ignition switch, bad ground(s), bad starter solenoid, bad starter.

Report back with what you find.