L2850 Front 4x4 Axle Housing

WingNut

Equipment
L2850 Kubota c/w Loader
Feb 29, 2012
Northern Ontario
Went to change the oil in the front differential on the new to me L2850 4x4, and noticed no oil in ONE side at the front left wheel. Seems the bottom seal/plug got up and left town.
4x4 worked fine with no grinding noises and the bottom bearing looked clean, so hoping a new plug and new oil will fix all.
Do these plugs commonaly pop out ?, with I can only assume oil pressure from changing temperatures, never looked but is there supposed to be a vent line from the differential ? If so perhaps its plugged.
Also notice while I had the front end jacked up off the ground that there is alot of play in the ajustable tie rod end at the pitman arm, can you buy just the end piece or do you have to buy the whole arm assembly ?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I've never had a drain plug come out of any of mine before. Just guessing but I would say it was left loose at some point in time. As far as a vent goes. I had a problem with my L3000 a couple of yrs back building pressure and it started leaking from the seal on one side. I pulled the plug and it blew oil everywhere. I did some checking and Kubota offers a vent kit that replaces the fill plug. You might want to check about that. I've never had to buy tie rods for any of mine so I can't help you on that one.

WingNut

Equipment
L2850 Kubota c/w Loader
Feb 29, 2012
Northern Ontario
Thanks for the help and tips 'Bulldog', much appreciated. I'm ask about the vent kit and post up what I find out, but tough to get time to get over to the dealership sometimes.
I'd have to guess that just the greater volume of air in the diff is the reasobn for no vent line, be interesting to know if the smaller Kubota's have some kind of vent.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
My two don't have vents in the front end, and never had a pressure problem that I know of.

I'd say it's very uncommon to lose that lower cap. My guess is something hit it and tour it off at some point...

New cap and oil should be all it needs.

Check with you dealer, or Messick's on line for the tie rod end.

WingNut

Equipment
L2850 Kubota c/w Loader
Feb 29, 2012
Northern Ontario
Thanks 'Bluegill', what do you know the cap/plug is cheap $7.00 however the R.H. steering linkage assembly was $222.00 so just getting the tie rod end piece for $42.00.
However in the meantime I have noticed that the rear axle oil seal is leaking on one side, so more work to do, but at least the parts are cheap. No play in the bearing so I suspect something purhaps just got wrapped around the axle and ruined the seal, hopefully.