L2850 clutch

kubby 2013

Equipment
L2850, L3400, Jd 5103, MF 205 Ind., IH364, Jd 410 backhoe/Loader, Jd 350 Dozer,
May 13, 2013
Old Town, Maine
Was reading the posts on clutches. We changed the clutch assembly on my L2850 last fall because it was slipping in 3 & 4 high. 1200 hours. We found the plates were fine looking but one of the 3 adjustment bolts with lock-nuts that the throwout bearing pushes against was worn down to and into the check-nut. The other 2 were worn only a little. No sign of any problems inside. Everything was replaced new including throwout bearing. I had to adjust the PTO clutch twice in 1200 Hrs. because it would not disengage. My brother-in -law has been a mechanic all his life and never seen a problem like this. Has anyone ever seen a problem like this? I can't find any one who has.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Not exactly the same tractor but mine was a L3650. Since it has a dual-stage clutch it require coordinating the engagement and disengagement of the clutch. If you have a FEL the frame for it has to be removed to reach the PTO clutch adjustment.

It can be tricky. If you don't have a service manual you are going at it blind. I'd suggest picking up the shop manual if you can find one.

But based on your post you have just about everything well covered and have first-hand knowledge of the clutch and its operation. Maybe the wear on the new clutch as it seated in caused the out-of-adjustment issues.

Last edited: