L2850 4X4 drive shaft leaks

andmel

Equipment
L2850 / L3901 LB / G1800
Dec 17, 2014
concord, VA, USA
I've been going over my 'new to me' L2850 tweeking and replacing parts as needed. Newest venture is to replace the 'assumed' seals at both ends of the 4X4 drive shaft. 90 wt gear oil is leaking from front axle housing where the shaft goes in and also hydraulic fluid where the opposite end of the shaft goes into the transmission housing. In both cases, the leak is above the drain plug. 90 weight gear oil is also leaking from the shaft tube joint (two piece telescopic tube that acts as a sheath to protect the shaft) where the smaller dia. tube goes into the larger dia. one.

(1) I wanted to know if anyone knows if there is supposed to be a bearing or seal at this tube joint.

(2) Do I need to unbolt the front axle from the tractor to get the shaft out?

(3)How many seals are involved?

I know a dealer can provide this info but thought somebody on here might have done this and could provide some advice.
-Andy

kubby 2013

Equipment
L2850, L3400, Jd 5103, MF 205 Ind., IH364, Jd 410 backhoe/Loader, Jd 350 Dozer,
May 13, 2013
Old Town, Maine
Not sure what is in there for a seal but it shouldn't be leaking. The drive shaft can be removed without removing the front end. there is a joint with a bolt through the front. Remove the bolt and then go to the back end of the motor and remove the 2 bolts that hold the tube up. Next go to the rear end and remove what ever holds the tube (can't remember) then you can slide the drive shaft ahead out of the rear and then pull it back to remove from the front. Hope I didn't confuse you. That is the best I can remember from when we split the tractor to replace clutch.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I've been going over my 'new to me' L2850 tweeking and replacing parts as needed. Newest venture is to replace the 'assumed' seals at both ends of the 4X4 drive shaft. 90 wt gear oil is leaking from front axle housing where the shaft goes in and also hydraulic fluid where the opposite end of the shaft goes into the transmission housing. In both cases, the leak is above the drain plug. 90 weight gear oil is also leaking from the shaft tube joint (two piece telescopic tube that acts as a sheath to protect the shaft) where the smaller dia. tube goes into the larger dia. one.

(1) I wanted to know if anyone knows if there is supposed to be a bearing or seal at this tube joint.
Yes see bottom notes:
(2) Do I need to unbolt the front axle from the tractor to get the shaft out?
No
(3)How many seals are involved?
Again see bottom notes:
I know a dealer can provide this info but thought somebody on here might have done this and could provide some advice.
You know if you get a WSM for your tractor it will walk you through all these kinds of questions and repairs:

Seal in yellow:

Seal and O-ring in yellow:

#100 O-Ring
#110 Bearing
#120 Bearing holder and seal
#80 Seal
#50 O-ring
Remove bolt 90
Drive out roll pin 60
Slide cover forward
Drive out pin 30
Slide coupler forward remove couple remove driveshaft and covers

Attachments

andmel

Equipment
L2850 / L3901 LB / G1800
Dec 17, 2014
concord, VA, USA
Wolfman, really appreciate the information and I noted your recommendation to get a WSM. I just haven't needed to tear into this machine deep enough to justify the price of one yet. If I run across a deal on a WSM or delve into a clutch replacement or the like, I'll definitely get one. Looks like they're running ~$60 on messick's w/ shipping. Found one on ebay for ~$20 but it was for GST and mines' a DT.