L2800 Starting Issue

Charlie Tuna

Equipment
L3200
Sep 1, 2021
Seadrift TX
Got a strange one going on. When turning the key to start the tractor the engine turns over but will not start until i release the key from the starting position. But today I had to release the key from starting position but hold it from going all the way back to the run position to keep it running. I suspect the switch is bad so I checked the connectors on the back of the switch and not much corrosion. So cleaned them off with wire brush but still having same issue. It now does not require me to hold the key but only starts when I release the key from starting position. Is this the sign of a bad starter switch?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I am not an expert on your tractor but can make a suggestion on your problem.

It sounds like you have a fuel shut off (or turn on in your case) solenoid that has to move into the run position. Normally that should happen in both the start and run positions on the key switch. You should be able to remove the solenoid and test its operation to make sure it operates correctly. Or you can see if it is getting power to the wiring connector when the key is in the start position and then the run position.

I can’t tell you what the real sequence is for your tractor but you may be able to get a work shop manual from Kubota books dot com or your dealer.

it probably is the switch and you can troubleshoot it to see what power is applied to the various key positions. Probably can be replaced for around $50 if you can do it.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The WSM will have testing procedure for both the Switch and the Stop solenoid.

Reactions: 1 user