L2600DT hydraulic top cover broke

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Non-residue electronic cleaner…and JB Weld.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I think for $570 bucks - I would find a way to "cover" the hole.

In the photo it looks like it has been painted over ?

That cast will need to be cleaned as mentioned above - and then paint ground off ( all the while keeping debris out the hole) then a patch to prevent the JB weld from entering the hole.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas

That cast will need to be cleaned as mentioned above - and then paint ground off ( all the while keeping debris out the hole) then a patch to prevent the JB weld from entering the hole.
Yep. Clean the hole and edges larger than the damaged area… Use fine-wire screen properly cut slightly over-sized…and pre-treated with thin-coating of JB Weld (for subsequent adhesion) inserted thru the hole, held/suspended with a safety-wire tied to the screen’s center in-order to pull and to hold it in-place…. while the JB Weld is spatulated into place and adhering to the pre-treated JB Weld-penetrated screen. (I hope it’s obvious that the “KWIK” version of JB Weld would not likely be the best choice.)

Anyway…. that’s how I repaired a hole in a 9N Ford block and it held up for the 15 years I owned/operated it….and I doubt the new owner is even aware of the repair because it was virtually invisible after it was painted. (No… I did not “hide” the repair from the new owner…. I gave the little Ford away, and it was subsequently sold to a new owner.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I like that word: " spatulated "(y)

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
I was worried what some of our fellow-participants might do if I said “tongue-depressored”. 😝

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
I'm not knowledgeable about that exact part or what stresses it is under, just wanted to know why it broke? If it was a stress on it that caused the break, then glue will probably just break again sooner than later. If you had the broken piece, I would attempt with a cast iron arc rod, attempt to very slowly and carefully weld it for that savings.

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
Pretty sure this is the cover. Broken part at the back. A few online if this is it but around 500-600canadian doll hairs. I also thought the hole looked like it had been painted but figured it was just the camera light. Having the piece might help in a patch situation. I’d try what other suggested first with the Jb weld. Can’t hurt to try it. If it fails then locate a new or undamaged one. Looks like it’s broken under the 3ph flow adjustment on the hydraulic cover.
I am also pretty interested in how this broke.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The break is on the side of the drop speed and lock mecanisum.
You CAN NOT use JB weld and call it good.
That area is under full hydraulic pressure and would POP a Epoxy weld right out.
You also would have limited and Expensive results trying to weld a piece back in, there is a sealing surface on the inside of where it broke, so after a weld you would have to pay a machine shop to rebuild the sealing surface and on an odd shaped part like that it would be a huge challenge.

Why they break like this is usually from water in the area freezing and breaking the cast.

Buy a new case and hope it never happens again.

MichaelDM

Equipment
Kubota L2600DT
Jan 29, 2024
Texas

It does look painted over, maybe it was a bad repair from previous owner. I’m not sure as it is the first tractor I have owned.

MichaelDM

Equipment
Kubota L2600DT
Jan 29, 2024
Texas
Yep. Clean the hole and edges larger than the damaged area… Use fine-wire screen properly cut slightly over-sized…and pre-treated with thin-coating of JB Weld (for subsequent adhesion) inserted thru the hole, held/suspended with a safety-wire tied to the screen’s center in-order to pull and to hold it in-place…. while the JB Weld is spatulated into place and adhering to the pre-treated JB Weld-penetrated screen. (I hope it’s obvious that the “KWIK” version of JB Weld would not likely be the best choice.)

Anyway…. that’s how I repaired a hole in a 9N Ford block and it held up for the 15 years I owned/operated it….and I doubt the new owner is even aware of the repair because it was virtually invisible after it was painted. (No… I did not “hide” the repair from the new owner…. I gave the little Ford away, and it was subsequently sold to a new owner.)
This is what I am thinking of trying, my concern is the patch would be at an Oring contact point and may cause leaking issues.

MichaelDM

Equipment
Kubota L2600DT
Jan 29, 2024
Texas
Pretty sure this is the cover. Broken part at the back. A few online if this is it but around 500-600canadian doll hairs. I also thought the hole looked like it had been painted but figured it was just the camera light. Having the piece might help in a patch situation. I’d try what other suggested first with the Jb weld. Can’t hurt to try it. If it fails then locate a new or undamaged one. Looks like it’s broken under the 3ph flow adjustment on the hydraulic cover.
I am also pretty interested in how this broke.
Not sure what caused the weak spot, tractor was running and popped following fluid shooting in the air. I just bought it, so do not know the history.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
I was thinking this area was merely a crankcase-type of container…. not pressure-holding area… If the latter…. JB Weld would not likely work.