L260 low oil pressure

dpaulg

Equipment
L260
Aug 10, 2015
Tyrone, PA
On the L260 there is no plug on the front of the camshaft but in the parts list it shows a sealing cap on the rear end of the camshaft.what is this cap for? Could that cause a loss of oil pressure? Oil pressure after starting is about 25 psi then drops under 20 and oil light starts flashing. Thanks so much for any help.

Steve NC

Equipment
B7100D, L2900DT, ZD21, G6200,
Dec 29, 2014
Sandy Bottom North Carolina
I might be wrong but that doesnt sound like a cam shaft plug problem to me. My B7100 had that issue and the oil pressure was a lot lower. A cold start up would give me about 10-15 psi with the engine reved up and at idle it would fall to about 3psi. After replacing the cam plug my oil pressure went up to 50-60psi at cold idle and 40psi at hot idle.

Are you running a live gauge and a light? If it actually is the cam plug, you can pull the valve cover and look at the rocker shaft over the valves. All of the engines I have seen with the cam plug problem supplied little to no oil to the top of the engine. They had enough oil to keep from burning up the bearings but couldnt push much to the top of the head.

Last edited:

BackYardWrench

Equipment
B1700
Jul 17, 2015
Wisconsin Dells, WI
When I did my B7100 camshaft plug, I pulled the camshaft and found a plug on the back of the shaft that was sort of dangling in place. The only thing that kept it from falling out was the back wall.

As I was pulling the camshaft out, it fell off. I had to stick a copper pipe into the camshaft holes to retrieve the plug since its aluminum. There are picture on here under one of my threads. I ended up welding both ends.

dpaulg

Equipment
L260
Aug 10, 2015
Tyrone, PA
I think I figured out my problem. I put a rubber stopper in the oil return to the oil pan from the oil pressure relief valve. When I started the engine the oil pressure climbed past 70 psi where I shut it off. So I say the relief valve is very week as I never got over 25 psi till I plugged the return.