L260 brakes

David Page

Equipment
1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME
I noticed that my when my split brakes are locked they aren't coming backup all the way. When I separate them the left one stays down some. I can pull it backup but it goes hard. When stepping down on it, it doesn't go easy and the brake doesn't hold like the other side. I disk connected it at what appears to be the Lever brake cam #020 on the parts list. It is hard to read the numbers when I blow it up big enough to see it well. So it appears to be something inside of the brake assembly that must not be moving well. I have the gaskets( collars) because I wanted to take it apart and see if the brake pads are alright. Now I'm wondering what other parts should be on hand. Any educated guesses? Can't tell what part the lever is attached to inside.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I noticed that my when my split brakes are locked they aren't coming backup all the way. When I separate them the left one stays down some. I can pull it backup but it goes hard. When stepping down on it, it doesn't go easy and the brake doesn't hold like the other side. I disk connected it at what appears to be the Lever brake cam #020 on the parts list. It is hard to read the numbers when I blow it up big enough to see it well. So it appears to be something inside of the brake assembly that must not be moving well. I have the gaskets( collars) because I wanted to take it apart and see if the brake pads are alright. Now I'm wondering what other parts should be on hand. Any educated guesses? Can't tell what part the lever is attached to inside.
I think the part you're referring to is called the brake cam. It causes the shoes to spread when the lever rotates it. There are also springs that could be broken or disconnected.

Reactions: 1 user

David Page

Equipment
1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME
From the parts breakdown it looks like I need a brake cam part # 32240-28243. In have emailed some of the places that may have used parts. Hopefully someone will have it. Trying to get some other inside parts including brake shoes.

David Page

Equipment
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME
I found a used brake cam and other parts at Allstate Ag Parts hopefully that will take care of it.