L2550dtgst help

sjones

Equipment
l2550 gst
May 17, 2017
Champaign,Illinois
I have a L2550 started out would only move in 1st through 4th gear and had no power the slightest incline or anything would stop it dead in its tracks. So I split it replaced dry clutch knowing from the looks of it probably wasnt the promblem considering it had normal wear for age of machine. Put it back together after replacing clutch and no change in things. So back to here i came found a thread where another guy had same issue traced his back to hydraulic clutch. So I dove back into to get to hydraulic clutch. Plates and disk measured in spec. The orings / seals didn't show sign of wear like I hoped for still replaced them and reassembled everything. When I took it for a test spin only have 4th and 8th gear now but have plenty power to hold brakes now and tractor will keep on chugging spinning tires pushing through before that wouldnt have happened. Now im stumped what I could have put back wrong my rotary valve was dot up checked that already pretty confident its not the speed cable since i tried moving rotary valve with wrench to different gears and still just 4th and 8th gear. Im hoping for an easy solution but also knowing probably not the case. Hoping someone else has had a similar experience.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds like you have an issue with the high low shift valve or maybe you didn't get the shift fork lined up when you reassembled it.
I'll bet it's the latter. ;)

When you had it apart did you replace all the O-rings that seal the shift valves and the cover?

sjones

Equipment
l2550 gst
May 17, 2017
Champaign,Illinois
Is my thinking correct that the hi - lo shift valve is the one that stays on the side cover when you pull it off. Because the top one you remove the 6 or 8 bolts is the shuttle / F&R and the bottom little one you unbolt from side cover im not sure of its job

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Top front valve body is shift change valve.
Top rear is assy gate valve, it controls all the other valves, and yes the F/R shaft goes threw it, that part is purely mechanical.
The bottom rear valve is the H/L valve.

The ASSY gate valve controls the clutch and also the shift timing and movement and the high low timing and movement.

When you replaced all the parts did you use new O-rings?
And did you make sure you aligned the shift forks on the H/L valve as you assembled it?
You stated that you didn't unbolt the H/L valve, it's actually much easier to align the valve to the cover then it is to align the forks while it's on the cover.

Last edited:

sjones

Equipment
l2550 gst
May 17, 2017
Champaign,Illinois
I did not replace every single o ring had some that were missing "ones i probably dropped or misplaced". The only valve i wouldnt have unbolted is the front one i don't know that it would be possible to leave the others attached and pull side cover. If someone managed to I think it would be a royal pain.