L2550 GST 4WD/GST reliability

Milo Holroyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 L245DT w/1700 FEL, 2003 L3130 HST,w/ LA723 loader,,and L2174A snowblower
Howdy folks, been a while since I've peeked in here.
I would like to hear opinions on the Glide Shift Transmission.
Especially relating to snowplowing. My Uncle is *willing* me his.
Still looking for the operators manual (it's around here somewhere, say's he):)

He want's me to use it for snowplowing this winter. I sure don't want to cause any damage. Appreciate any advice.
Thanks Milo

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
Milo, it has been awhile since I saw you on OTT. Good to have you back. I have the Glideshift on my 98 L35. I like it, mainly because I'm used to it. I also had it on an old L4250 (I think that was the model). You can shift between forward and reverse without using the clutch. I try to ease mine in and out to save wear and tear. But it will work at full throttle. I was running a bushhog in 5th gear and a tree limb caught the shift lever and promptly shifted into reverse for me. I almost went over the steering wheel. I believe the froward/reverse clutches run in oil and are supposed to last forever. You can still use the foot clutch if you want. You cannot shift the transmission under load! I can't speak about how the system works in snow/ice. We almost never have the frozen stuff here. Keep us posted on how it works for you.

Milo Holroyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 L245DT w/1700 FEL, 2003 L3130 HST,w/ LA723 loader,,and L2174A snowblower
Thanks for the info Pat. We located the operators manual. Looks like the most important thing is proper engine/trans/hydraulic oil warm-up.
For me, that most likely means at least 30 minutes warm-up, before any snowplowing.

Again, any comments or advice appreciated.

Milo

dshadley

Equipment
L-2850 GST
Nov 28, 2010
battle creek, mi usa
Thanks for the info Pat. We located the operators manual. Looks like the most important thing is proper engine/trans/hydraulic oil warm-up.
For me, that most likely means at least 30 minutes warm-up, before any snowplowing.

Again, any comments or advice appreciated.

Milo
hey milo, it's been a piece of time since your post but i thought you'd like to know that i've been plowing snow for 15 yrs, with my L-2850GST still doe's a great job! no heated garage, just warm up and go. good luck. dave

RONNE

Equipment
L2550GST
May 11, 2017
Lebanon, Mo.
Very reliable. Works well even in cold weather as long as u use the clutch until well warmed up.

Only problem ever was the powersteering gearbox input shaft broke and i had to rebuild.