L2550 4WD PTO Won't Disengage w/Clutch

Captjohn

Equipment
L2550 4WD
Aug 16, 2013
Bay St. Louis, MS USA
I just got a 5' Land Pride med. duty clipper for my L2550. Couldn't engage the PTO while running, gears were grinding. Killed engine, engaged PTO and started. Pto won't disengage when I press the clutch, like the clutch is stuck. Pto hasn't been used in 8 yrs, at least. I cut some brush while pressing the clutch in and out hoping it would free up but it still turns. Have to take pto out of gear to stop the clipper.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Capt. John
L2550 4WD w/front end loader 1500 Hrs.

Captjohn

Equipment
L2550 4WD
Aug 16, 2013
Bay St. Louis, MS USA
Does your tractor have a 2 stage clutch?
My bro in law is a Kubota lover and he says it does. The clutch engages the tranny near the top of the pedal travel and works fine. Did a little cutting with it today but still not releasing. When I push the clutch in, the tractor stops but the pto doesn't. I've read that there's been many of the same problems with many makes of tractors. Hoping with time it'll free up without breaking the tractor in half. :(

slgrafton

Equipment
L245, bx2350
Jan 1, 2013
MD
My L2250 has a 2 stage clutch. Its mostly the same as the L2550.
I need to depress the clutch ALL THE WAY to disengage the PTO.

Captjohn

Equipment
L2550 4WD
Aug 16, 2013
Bay St. Louis, MS USA
Bro in law came over and said I had too much free play in pedal. Will adjust it after church and see what happens. Hope it's that simple. First one I've had with a 2 stage clutch. (I think)

bosshogg

Equipment
2004 L3400F w/ FEL
Aug 16, 2012
Hartford, SD, USA
Bro in law came over and said I had too much free play in pedal. Will adjust it after church and see what happens. Hope it's that simple. First one I've had with a 2 stage clutch. (I think)
Mine had 1" to much free play and would grind. I took the free play out (except 1") and the grinding stopped. Hope yours is as easy to fix as mine was.

Captjohn

Equipment
L2550 4WD
Aug 16, 2013
Bay St. Louis, MS USA
Tried to adjust the clutch and of course the linkage was froze up. After much work and the help of a torch got it free. Adjusted the clutch and it now works. The second stage has a pretty strong spring pressure but I'll get used to it. Now I learned about 2 stage clutches.
Thanks everyone! :D