L2501 interim bigger tractor

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
Guys, I've been on the fence about getting a tractor but I really need one for my old property I'm currently on. I was pretty well set on either a 4760 or an MX 5800. but being I'm looking for my current property and don't want a giant payment until I sell my old house. I'm thinking about buying a 2501. but I have concerns about abilities and attachments it can use.

Lets say my goal is the L 4760-6060
my current property is 95% open pasture used for horse grazing. trees at property line. would need to do some ground leveling and ditch work, would need to be able to brush hog decently. the pasture is all flat. 100% flat basically. what I don't want to do is get the L2501, and not be able to pull a 6 foot box blade or a 6 foot brush hog that I would like to keep for the later purchase of the big tractor. it would get some minor front end loader dirt work, post hole digging and would want the top N Tilt, knowing my end goal, which is to have a much larger tractor. can it handle box blade drive way work, minor ditching, a topNtilt and 12" post hole digging without much issue? I'm thinking my biggest possible issue is brush hogging with a 6 foot hog because of the lower hp. that's not a big deal as I have a 6 foot scag cheetah and my ground out there is very smooth, no rocks or debris and the scag does it without hesitation. what kind of price should I be looking at? I'd like to get one with FEL, quick attach bucket, 6 foot blade, post hole digger, and loaded tires for under 19k, and with a topNtilt. would definitely be HST.

I figure likely a year before I move into new place, maybe 60 hours or so, how much am I going to lose equity wise by doing that?

Eray

Equipment
L2501 HST
Feb 24, 2015
Lenoir City, Tennessee
My advice would be buy the larger tractor now and skip trading up. I bought a new L2501 about 6 months ago. 2 months later I bought a 35 acre farm and could now use a larger tractor. I figure the Kubota dealer made $2000.00 on the sale of the L2501 and a used 2501 is worth another $2,000.00 less than a brand new one. Using these estimates you can see where I am going to lose a quick $4,000.00 if I trade it in on a new larger tractor. The L2501 has been a great little machine but I am going to take a beating on it when I trade it.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
What Eray said.

NEVER buy something new that you know you are going to sell in a year or two. Guaranteed money loser.

Get a used one. Even get a used green one in the smaller size. But don't drop coin on brand new machine knowing your are going to need a bigger one when your house sells. Drive to TN and buy Erays!

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I also would not buy a new smaller tractor knowing I needed/wanted a larger
one in the next few years. Makes no sense at all.

Eray

Equipment
L2501 HST
Feb 24, 2015
Lenoir City, Tennessee
What Eray said.

NEVER buy something new that you know you are going to sell in a year or two. Guaranteed money loser.

Get a used one. Even get a used green one in the smaller size. But don't drop coin on brand new machine knowing your are going to need a bigger one when your house sells. Drive to TN and buy Erays!
You could almost drive to Tennessee from Texas and haul one back for the $4000.00 you are going to lose on a new one. A new one will lose most of it's depreciation in the first year or two. Find a low hour two year old one or buy a new one in the size you plan to keep.

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
So a local horse farmer is selling and she has a JD 4610 hst 4wd. Has a feel, tiller, box blade, post hole digger, 6 foot brush cutter, bale spear, pallet forks, and drag harrow. Has 1900 hours on it. Pretty well maintained minus some minor things. Needs a seat and a hood. Bucket was left tipped up and rusted through a little. Could be repaired. She wants 14000 for it. Rough, but mechanically sound and no real problems. Worth it? R4 tires. What would a hood and seat likely cost?

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
So a local horse farmer is selling and she has a JD 4610 hst 4wd. Has a feel, tiller, box blade, post hole digger, 6 foot brush cutter, bale spear, pallet forks, and drag harrow. Has 1900 hours on it. Pretty well maintained minus some minor things. Needs a seat and a hood. Bucket was left tipped up and rusted through a little. Could be repaired. She wants 14000 for it. Rough, but mechanically sound and no real problems. Worth it? R4 tires. What would a hood and seat likely cost?
No way I'd pay that much for a rig in that condition with that many hours on it.

Robert3301

Equipment
L3301 HST
Dec 1, 2015
South Carolina
Condition is everything to me when buying used. In order for me to pay top dollar for something, the tractor and implements would need to be in top condition. How do the implements all look? Without seeing any pics and just going by your description I wouldn't go more than $11500 for everything.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Some JD hoods are plastic. I don't know about their prices but my 2012 L3800 Kubota hood listed at $750 without stickers. I know JD ain't giving them away. Figure $600-$750 for the hood.

A OEM seat is probably $200. If you can find a better aftermarket and mod it on, it'll run the same.

I think she is asking a lot more than its worth. With the care its had, it sounds like the machine could be about half way through its life. If you only plan to use it for 200 hours and you can get her down to a realistic price, -and you want to do the upgrades, go for it. I'd offer her no more than $12k for it.

Just remember: When you go to sell it, the buyers may not be as forgiving as you are.

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
The L2501 is a nice machine, but its an entry L tractor. You will run out of motor faster than you would run out of tractor. I got my B7610 as it was the exact tractor I wanted, while fitting my budget. Less than a year later my budget has expanded, and Im drooling over L3940-L4740 cab tractors....

If your going to be hogging for acres and acres, a 5' bush hog isnt gonna cut it. My machine is 1 hp less and Im not comfortable using anything bigger than a 4 footer on mine. Whatever attachments your going to use, size the tractor to run them...

hitechredneck

Equipment
L2501, Land Pride Rotary Cutter, Woods tiller, FEL, Dirt Dog box scraper
Sep 21, 2015
Belton, SC
My bush hog is only a 5 footer, but I don't have any trouble. My box blade is a 6 footer, again no trouble box blading up a steep hill. I've got about 800 feet of gravel road.

I don't think the 2501 would have any trouble with the implements you are talking about.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Bigshooter

Equipment
Kubota L2501
Nov 26, 2015
Minnesota
The L2501 is a nice machine, but its an entry L tractor. You will run out of motor faster than you would run out of tractor. I got my B7610 as it was the exact tractor I wanted, while fitting my budget. Less than a year later my budget has expanded, and Im drooling over L3940-L4740 cab tractors....

If your going to be hogging for acres and acres, a 5' bush hog isnt gonna cut it. My machine is 1 hp less and Im not comfortable using anything bigger than a 4 footer on mine. Whatever attachments your going to use, size the tractor to run them...
Side note, the L2501 has a de-tuned 32hp + engine (100 c.i.) in it, and while it is rated at 25hp, it doesn't really tell the whole story. Certainly not to be compared to a 67 c.i. power plant rated one horse less. Also, it would be silly for any manufacturer to offer a tractor that is blatantly under powered relative to it's chassis as you seemingly suggest.

Robert3301

Equipment
L3301 HST
Dec 1, 2015
South Carolina
The L2501 doesn't run out of motor in the tasks that I've used it in. This engine only has about 1300rpms to play with because it idles at 1000 and 540 speed is 2000-2100 on the dash. You can make the needle go to 2300 but that's it and it's still not "wound up". In other words you wouldn't know this was a 25hp machine unless I told you. Its probably the "tourqiest" diesel I've been around, for what it is. You just have to drive one to see.