L2501 HST basic operation questions

Whitemike

Mar 24, 2022
Idaho
-The PTO lever that’s behind the drivers seat, im assuming is only for rear implements? I used forks and loader bucket for a couple hours yesterday and never touched that lever In the picture.

-the differential lock - does the tractor have to be in neutral before pressing down on this lever, and then back in neutral to release?

-is the tractor supposed to be in neutral before pulling on the FWD lever?

I have no experience with HST vehicles and just ASSumed that without manual gear selection, these things weren’t necessary but now I’m second guessing myself.

D6A30793-BDB6-4C63-AE95-787F11DD34E5.jpeg

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
The PTO lever controls the PTO at the rear of the tractor. Depress the clutch before engaging or disengaging. It's the only PTO on the L2501. The speed varies with the engine speed which is why you have a PTO marking on the tach at about 2000 rpm. The tractor need not be in neutral to lock the differential but should not be moving when doing so. The tractor need not be in neutral to engage FWD but should be stopped. Depressing the clutch may help. It seems to get easier to engage over time. Like a manual transmission select a gear appropriate to what you're doing. Of course the tractor should be stopped when changing gears. I spend most of my time in M or L. If you use the parking brake remember to release it to move the tractor - it will save wear on the brakes. It's easy to forget.

Reactions: 3 users

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
Your owners manual has descriptions for everything and the proper way to use them.

Reactions: 4 users

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
-The PTO lever that’s behind the drivers seat, im assuming is only for rear implements? I used forks and loader bucket for a couple hours yesterday and never touched that lever In the picture.

-the differential lock - does the tractor have to be in neutral before pressing down on this lever, and then back in neutral to release?

-is the tractor supposed to be in neutral before pulling on the FWD lever?

I have no experience with HST vehicles and just ASSumed that without manual gear selection, these things weren’t necessary but now I’m second guessing myself.
I’m thankful you asked these questions. If you have more, please ask. And as suggested, read your manuals.

I must ask;
Did your dealer not go over the operation of the tractor with you before it was delivered or you took it home? If not, I’m disappointed.

Enjoy the tractor, be safe, it’s a fantastic machine that’ll serve you well for years to come.

Mike

Mak65

Equipment
L2501 HST
Apr 25, 2019
TX
Roadworthy covered it well but he mentioned when engaging the FWD depressing the clutch may help. The manual says you must depress the clutch before engaging the FWD lever. Enjoy the tractor - great machine.

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
If FWD is difficult to engage or disengage, use the FEL to unweight the front wheels.
It will pop in or out with almost no effort.
If you have something in the bucket and don't want to unweight with the FEL then you can steer the wheels lock to lock and get almost the same effect.

Reactions: 1 users

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Very basic tractor operation question. Please, please read your manual sitting on the tractor if you can. It really will help.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I've owned an L2501 - never had any problem shifting into and out of 4x4 on the fly, so long as the front and rear wheels are not turning at different speeds (not spinning or turning). The clutch is required for engaging the PTO, which is the yellow lever on the side of the seat. You would only use this if you had a PTO-powered attachment mounted to the rear, such as a brush hog or flail mower, etc. The method that is easiest on the tractor is as follows: 1.) Lower RPMs to mid-level (not too low, not full throttle). 2.) Depress and hold clutch pedal down. 3.) Move PTO lever into "on" position. 4.) Gently ease off the clutch pedal slowly, feeling the PTO-driven implement spool up. 5.) Once clutch is released, bring RPMs up to PTO speed and begin operating implement.