L2501 HST 4x4 transmission/hydraulic fluid question

Greybeard

Equipment
L2501,
Apr 26, 2020
Forsyth, Ga
Getting ready to do my initial 50 hr service. I’ve purchased the filters kit and now looking up specs on transmission fluid and hydraulic fluid. The owners manual is a little confusing.
1) Under capacities it shows 6.2 gallons of transmission fluid for a 2WD but nothing listed for the 4x4. How much is needed for the 4x4?
2) Also, (and a real stupid question) since there are separate filters for HST transmission fluid and the Hydraulic fluid, I thought there would be two locations for adding fluid. The owners manual only shows the fill location behind the seat just above the third link. So does this fill both the hydraulic system and the Transmission?

I don’t mind the “stupid owner bashing” as long as I get an answer

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Getting ready to do my initial 50 hr service. I’ve purchased the filters kit and now looking up specs on transmission fluid and hydraulic fluid. The owners manual is a little confusing.
1) Under capacities it shows 6.2 gallons of transmission fluid for a 2WD but nothing listed for the 4x4. How much is needed for the 4x4?
2) Also, (and a real stupid question) since there are separate filters for HST transmission fluid and the Hydraulic fluid, I thought there would be two locations for adding fluid. The owners manual only shows the fill location behind the seat just above the third link. So does this fill both the hydraulic system and the Transmission?

For 50 hour service you will only need about a quart if you are quick. You have a common sump tractor that uses the same oil for transmission, final drive, and hydraulic system.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

Shekkie

Equipment
LX2610, Virnig 60" Grapple, WoodMaxx TM-86H, Woods 60" BB/72”RB
Feb 12, 2022
Grafton, Ohio
For 50 hours I believe the manual just calls for a filter swap but I’d be changing fluid as well.

Last edited:

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
For 50 hours I believe the manual just calls for a filter swap but I’d be changing fluid as well.
That's what I did also. I initially was going to follow the manual, but tend to be a bit conservative. Once you price out those filters (ugh - the main HST one is MOST expensive filter I have ever bought BTW) the bump do the full fluid change @ 50 made sense. It quieted the whine a bit also.

I use the same thought process on every new vehicle I have ever owned by changing the engine oil early JIC - Ford racing SOP.
Use Kubota fluid & filters

Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA

A question you did not ask is "which hydraulic fluid I should use." The majority of people here at OTT would say use Kubota hydraulic fluid. I think they call it UDT2 and SUDT2 these days.

The consensus seems to be using anything else is risky in the long term.

Since you have a HST tractor, transmission fluid and hydraulic fluid are the same. Same fluid can also be used in the front axle, with the option to use standard gear oil there.

Greybeard

Equipment
L2501,
Apr 26, 2020
Forsyth, Ga
A question you did not ask is "which hydraulic fluid I should use." The majority of people here at OTT would say use Kubota hydraulic fluid. I think they call it UDT2 and SUDT2 these days.

The consensus seems to be using anything else is risky in the long term.

Since you have a HST tractor, transmission fluid and hydraulic fluid are the same. Same fluid can also be used in the front axle, with the option to use standard gear oil there.
I ordered the Kubota synthetic UDT hydraulic fluid (y)