L2501 first fail to start.

Forvols

Jan 28, 2017
Hawkins county TN
My first fail to start and tick me off issue with my L2501. Would not turn over nothing lights worked, dash worked. But no start. Thought for sure battery, though battery indicated good. Got a new one, still no start just click. Thought must be an interlock or fuse. Checked those no issues there. Almost ready to call Kubota dealer for a service call. And was putting away a dead blow hammer from another project and ticked off and it was 1930...Took the hammer and tapped the starter housing a few times..Tractor fired right up. Shut it down started again,,starter dragged alittle, shut it down and tried again starter dragged more. So I will probably need a new starter...

How much is one for a L2501 HST?

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
How long have you had the tractor? It may still be on warranty. That model didn't come out until 2014 or 2015. Don't they have a six year drive train warranty? The last starter I bought was $200 for a tractor and the starter wasn't through a dealer. I suspect a genuine Kubota starter would be higher than that. Before jumping to conclusions, though, check all starter bolts for tightness. It could be a slightly loose mounting bolt losing ground or it could be the main power terminal on the starter is not tight.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Check all your connections and make sure they are clean and tight. Both at battery, ground at frame, large positive lead going into ....and out of the solenoid to the starter motor. Check the starter mounting bolts too. If it's struggling to crank because of a poor connection, there will probably be a nut, bolt, or terminal that will get hot to the touch in a hurry. Easy with the hammer too... if it's a permanent magnet starter motor, the magnets crack easily.

Last edited:

Forvols

Jan 28, 2017
Hawkins county TN
Thanks fellas, great recommendations. I did clean the battery connections and the frame ground. But I didnot do that with the starter. I will do that tomorrow. I was happy with it starting after a couple taps with the hammer. But yes probably need to clean all the connections its a 2017 tractor with only 20hrs that I bought new.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
To rule out the starter as the problem, try jumping it.

Use great care as all safeties are non functional and it will start and drive over you as it goes through the back of your shop if you do things wrong.

If this is your first time, have someone in the seat who knows how to stop the machine with the brakes.

I marked up a photo of a starter showing the two termimals needing to be momentarily connected.

The large terminal is where the battery cable connects to the starter.

The small spade terminal is where the wire from the key switch attaches. It can be removed to expose the terminal.

Use a short piece is heavy gauge wire. Jamb one end against the large terminal and then, when ready, touch the other end to the starter solenoid's small terminal. A few small sparks can happen.

If the tractor starts this way when it wont with the key, then fist suspect the starter relay. Often, in the tractors relay panel there will be several identical relays. Swap one for the starter relay.

Dave

Attachments

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Good advice above.

WorkShop Manual page 9S-12 shows how to test the starter off tractor and on a bench.

Page 9S-32 shows how to breakdown and reassemble starter.

If you buy a new starter, you will likely need to turn in your present starter as a core. The starter you have now is a good quality starter. Even if it turns out to be the starter, I believe that you would be ahead to repair the starter that you have.

But I would check out the above troubleshooting tips to really make sure that your problem is the starter itself, which I think unlikely.

TiftTyson

Equipment
2018 L2501 HST, LA 525 Loader, Landpride Rotary Cutter, Box Blades;Bush Hog Til
Mar 24, 2018
ATHENS, GA
Make sure you are not accidentally pushing your hydrostat pedal with the tractor in gear while trying to start it. I did this a few times and it caused me to start looking into things like you are.