L245dt

smeato

Equipment
L245DT
Jan 28, 2013
Australia
Hi,
I have a L245DT that is draining oil from the transmission into the LH gear case. Is it a difficult job to renew the seal between the compartments?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I think I'm understanding you right, you don't have a external leak but the oil goes from the transmission to the left side of the rearend. If that's what you are saying this is normal, the rearend and transmission are all one reservoir. If that's not what you are saying I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

smeato

Equipment
L245DT
Jan 28, 2013
Australia
Thanks Bulldog, my local dealer (in Sydney - Australia) just told me the same thing, don't use the final drive level plugs at all. Fill the trans to the side level plug, that is how they operate.
One other question, the front diff has two filler plugs and a drain plug, is there a level plug (I can't see it) on the front axle?
Once again thanks very much for your help.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
First thing to do on the front axle is wash it really good including the hubs on either end. You'll be glad you did.

The front axle on my tractors are different from each other. One has a plug to remove for the oil level and the other one has a dipstick made on the fill plug. Unless yours are completely different from mine each hub will have a drain plug also. My axles have different hubs too. The axle with the dipstick has vent plugs on the top of each hub and the oil is supplied from the fill port on the axle. In other words when you fill the axle it fill the hubs as well.

The other kind which has a fill plug and a level plug has different hubs. Instead of vent plugs on the top of each hub they have fill plugs and are filled seperate from the axle. If I remember correctly the hubs that you fill do run completely full. However neither of my axles run full. Unless your is different they are unvented axles and need room for oil to expland during hot weather.

Sorry not to be able to help more. I have never worked on the model you have.

smeato

Equipment
L245DT
Jan 28, 2013
Australia
Thanks Guys,
My Kubota has separate oil level plugs for each front drive hub which are OK (not filled from the front diff). The front diff has two filler plugs without dip sticks, one each side on the axle housings, I think a dip stick would foul the axle shaft. Maybe I just measure the correct amount of oil when filling via the filler plugs?