L245Dt with 3pt backhoe

ct18fireman

Equipment
L245DT
Apr 14, 2010
CT
I have an L245dt with a 3 point attached backhoe run by a pto driven pump. I know its not the best setup (subframe would be better) but mainly using it to plant remove shrubs and move rocks around walls.

Anyway, I got it all attached and the problem I am having is that when it is at a good height for operating it is about in the middle of the current three point lift range. The 3pt lifts very high. When I go to push the backhoe into the ground or stabilizer arms down it just pushes up on the 3pt assembly.

Looking under the seat where the upper lift arms attach, it looks like I could loosen the arms and rotate them so that they would be at their upper limit of travel (I think this would also let them lower farther when using a rake etc.) Is this correct? Any negatives to doing this?

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
When you plant the outriggers on the gound on your backhoe or any for that matter. You do not need to add alot of pressure or lift to get it stable. You stick the outriggers on the ground just enough to stiffen up the tractor and to keep you from flipping over. If you lift to the point where your rear wheels are off the ground then its a little to high. My dad had a backhoe mounted to a 3pt hitch for a few years and it worked great and did alot of digging. Other then being a little tedious and time consuming to attatch and detatch it worked great.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
I have the same tractor but I set my backhoe up on a subframe.

My Woods backhoe manual shows a 3 point setup where a set of adjustable but rigid links go from the lower 3 point arm ends up to the tractor end of the top link, thus creating a rigid structure where the 3 point cannot float up. I've seen several other pics of similar setups online. Woods has manuals online, I linked one below for you to see.

http://www.woodsequipment.com/manuals.aspx#ctl00_contentMain_Directory1

brunswick000

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Feb 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Ive got an L245DT as well. Ill need a loader before a backhoe but id love to see a pic of yours with the backhoe on it. Im a little weary about the 3pt backhoes, so pls report back when you've gotten any of your issues sorted out and let us know how it works.

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
I have the same tractor but I set my backhoe up on a subframe.

My Woods backhoe manual shows a 3 point setup where a set of adjustable but rigid links go from the lower 3 point arm ends up to the tractor end of the top link, thus creating a rigid structure where the 3 point cannot float up. I've seen several other pics of similar setups online. Woods has manuals online, I linked one below for you to see.

http://www.woodsequipment.com/manuals.aspx#ctl00_contentMain_Directory1
Karl is correct. Do not ever operate a 3 point mount backhoe without the assembly that stops the 3 point hitch from moving!! With a backhoe fastened to the tractor the 3 point hitch is used to hold the backhoe to the tractor not to raise and lower it. Depending on the seat mount and clearance if the backhoe pushes up when you dig you can get caught or crushed.

ct18fireman

Equipment
L245DT
Apr 14, 2010
CT
We have identified the pieces missing. Cannot purchase anymore but Woods who purchased Grizzly is sending us some specs on having them made.

I will take a picture of the setup soon. In the meantime, it has no power. All the cylinders move, but once it hits the ground has little digging power. It has a PTO pump, which I am thinking is bad. Someone suggested that the cylinders could be bypassing internally, but I would find it hard to believe all the cylinders failing. Any thoughts?

We tried adjusting the relief valve to no avail. We find the curl cylinder to be the weakest and according to what I read it should be the strongest.

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
From your first post, it sounds like you've been using it to do some digging already. Has it just now quit working? Or are you just gettng it set up and can't get enough hydraulic power to operate it properly? Have you checked the reservoir to make sure it isn't low on oil? You may also have an obstruction in the suction line or it may be collapsing. If it has a filter, it may need to be changed. I would think you'll have to install a pressure gauge in high pressure line to see what the pump is doing. Keep us posted and Good Luck!

ct18fireman

Equipment
L245DT
Apr 14, 2010
CT
We have just set it up and been playing around with it. It will dig about 2" at a time. Won't curl the bucket in with a load. The stabilizers will lift the machine but I would think the boom and curl cylinders should either dig or pull the machine. We tool the filter off it was a bit dirty but not clogged, fluid flows easily by gravity out of resevoir down the suction line. The resevor is full of fluid and we have moved it around enough that I would think any air would have bled out.

I have a pressure gauge but only had fittings to put it inline on a line from the valve block out to a cylinder. I guess I have to get a fitting and a cap to put it on the pump pressure line. The cylinders seem to hold in the psotion we set them in with just a little play (maybe an inch) and it will hold it position if left overnight (we tried this in a locked shop for those concerned with being safe)

ct18fireman

Equipment
L245DT
Apr 14, 2010
CT
I was thinking of hooking the pressure and suction to the pump on my 28ton gas powered log splitter to see if it would dig under that power.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Could be that its time to have the cylinder's taken to a shop and have the seals replaced and repack the cylinders.

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
Couldn't hurt to try it. My guess is that is would be a little slow. It would sure tell you if the cylinders are good or not. Have you talked to the PO to see if he could shed some light on what is going on with the machine?

Ready Ready

Oct 12, 2016
Appleton Wi USA
A quick and easy way to test the pump for a worn out condition is to. First be sure the relief valve is set to the proper pressure, about 150psi above ratted system pressure and be sure you have proper oil level in the tank.
Now with the system at ambient temp. (leave cool over night) Start the tractor and immediately put your hand on the hyd. pump and attempt to raise either outrigger or bottom out any other cylinder causing the hyd. pressure to spike to the relief valve setting.
If the pump temperature goes up immediately (in seconds) to the touch at system pressure it is likely worn out. Good Luck