L245DT Trans/Hyd oil smells like hypoid gear lube???????

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
So what could leak, cross over mix or what ever to make my UDT oil get milky looking and smells very badly like hypoid differential lube?

The fluid was low when I got my tractor so I got some Kubota UDT oil which is the right stuff. Now after using this tractor for the summer the trans oil smells bad. Is there a gear case that could crack and mix fluids with say the rear planetary axles? Are they supposed to be the same UDT or are they something different?

Unless there was the wrong fluid in the trans when I got it something has happened so I wanted to pick your brains to see if someone has a quick answer to this problem.

I know I will have to drain this gook out and refill with Kubota UDT but I don't want to waste the money of there is something else to fix.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Oh it is all fubard. Junk now. bring it on to my place in OH and drop it off for disposal:D

Could it be water? Left out in rain? Think I recall reading somewhere of places on the older L's can let rain get in, Maybe thru tranny top filler cap? Search in here for maybe "rain" to see thread mentioning similar comes up.

My recall is the older L used something like 80-90wt granny/gear lube for trans and hydraulic but I'm new to this so could be wrong.

Last edited:

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Oh it is all fubard. Junk now. bring it on to my place in OH and drop it off for disposal:D

Could it be water? Left out in rain? Think I recall reading somewhere of places on the older L's can let rain get in, Maybe thru tranny top filler cap? Search in here for maybe "rain" to see thread mentioning similar comes up.

It has the look of water mixed in but I have not had a rain prob before so this kind of surprises me. Maybe the nature of the "L" beast has a vulnerability that I have to deal with. I will have to do a search like you mentioned.

Way to soon to be fubard :D:D I have a lot of work to get done so I can put up my new barn and after that it can be fubard and I will have a place to re-do it all. :)

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
My old L245 took 80W gear oil in the trans. So I'd say that's what was in yours to start.

Then what about the hydraulics??? Were they out of the trans with the same fluid? I see this milky gook leaking out of my FEL cylinders is how I noticed this. One had a very small leak so I just watched it to see when I was going to fix it. Now both started leaking all of a sudden and this ugly looking stuff is coming out.

Did you have any water leaking issues with rain?

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Then what about the hydraulics??? Were they out of the trans with the same fluid? I see this milky gook leaking out of my FEL cylinders is how I noticed this. One had a very small leak so I just watched it to see when I was going to fix it. Now both started leaking all of a sudden and this ugly looking stuff is coming out.

Did you have any water leaking issues with rain?
Mine didn't have a FEL, but the 3 pt worked with the 80W.