L245DT - Tie Rod and Throttle

Gunor

Equipment
L245DT
May 23, 2014
ASTORIA, OREGON
Going thru my 1978 L245DT. An uncle blew the engine up in 2007, while I was playing in a sandbox.

BTW - my mother bought it new in '78

Finally got it re-built and put together - AND working!

Tie Rod - my tie rod is slightly bent - I need to replace the tie rod ends. So is the tie rod straight or bent from the factory? I am thinking straight - and when I replace the ends I can adjust for proper toe-in...

Throttle - I cannot get full throttle with either the hand or foot control - does anyone have a nice clean picture of the linkage (engine stop lever) - I like to compare.

Thanks

Geoff in Oregon

Gunor

Equipment
L245DT
May 23, 2014
ASTORIA, OREGON
Thanks for the photo's!!!!!!!

perfect shot on the hand throttle end.

Tie rod (between the front wheels) - straight or ?????

I think mine has hit something in the past...

Geoff in Oregon

Last edited:

phildac

Equipment
1984 B8200E, L260F
Jul 29, 2009
Wentzville, MO
Gunor,

Two of my friends have L245's and their tie rods are both straight. They are L245F's (2WD). I just straightened out my tie rod on my L260 last night as it was bent by the previous owner. If you don't have access to a press and it's only bent slightly, you can adjust the toe with the tie rod ends. The parts diagram shows it straight also.

[/URL]

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
My tie rod is mostly straight FWIW. The shape doesn't really matter too much though, it's the end to end spacing that counts.

Gunor

Equipment
L245DT
May 23, 2014
ASTORIA, OREGON
Thanks all for the info.

I'll probably wait on the tie rod ends (lack of $, for now.) But I'll adjust the throttle linkage - according to the picture - it is assembled correctly - just needs to be adjusted.

Did change the front axles oils - might of been the first time - but at least there was oil.

And also noticed that I am missing the front zerk fitting on the front axle (where it pivots - side to side) - so I need to extract the remains of the zerk or remove that front plate.

Geoff in oregon