L245DT PTO Loses Power Under Load

nathanbratt

Equipment
L245 DT
Feb 9, 2013
graff, mo
I have an L245 DT. The PTO spins when I put it in gear. I cannot stop it with my hand when it is running. When I connect it to an implement it spins slowly until it finally stops. What kind of PTO does this model have, LIVE, INDEPENDENT, ETC.. Could it be a broken PTO shaft, clogged hydraulic filter, or is it a clutch problem? Any help would be appreciated.

phildac

Equipment
1984 B8200E, L260F
Jul 29, 2009
Wentzville, MO
Nathan,

Welcome to OTT! Sounds like a clutch issue to me. What type of implement are you trying to run? Does it do this in all 3 PTO speeds?

nathanbratt

Equipment
L245 DT
Feb 9, 2013
graff, mo
It does not matter what i try to run, it slows down under load and then stops. I am trying to run a wood chipper. Everything points to the clutch but i have yet to find any accurate information on what type of PTO this model has, LIVE, INDEPENDENT, etc.. Tractordata.com says it is Independent but it does not function like an independent pto. When i depress the clutch, the PTO stops, there is no way to stop the tractor wheels without stopping the PTO either, other than placing it in neutral.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Not all the info from tractor data is exactly right. Sounds like you have a clutch problem to me.

Last edited:

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I believe on my 185 - that was the same tractor with 1 fewer cylinder - the PTO was direct drive off the transmission input shaft, if I remember right. Seems to me the rear mower would try to move the tractor until I got it in neutral. Of course I'm old enough that I don't always remember things correctly.
Anyway, the full parts list was in the green owner's manual - you can follow every gear from the motor to the PTO. I would look at the first gear that meshes for the PTO - maybe it has mostly broken teeth. There was no two stage clutch if I remember correctly.
I still have access to the owner's manual, but it is three or so weeks away. If you haven't sorted this out by then maybe I can help.

slgrafton

Equipment
L245, bx2350
Jan 1, 2013
MD
Its been YEARS since I had any PTO implement on my L245 but I swear it's a live PTO. I'm thinking a clutch problem.

nathanbratt

Equipment
L245 DT
Feb 9, 2013
graff, mo
Thanks for the replies thus far. Does anyone know if there is a way to actually verify that it is the clutch slipping before i actually have to split the tractor? Is there a simple test or possibly a way to see the clutch/ PTO shaft from the top before actually tearing it apart? Also, with the tractor off and the PTO in gear, I can turn the PTO both clockwise and counter-clockwise. Granted it spins freely both ways when not in gear but i can still turn it both ways when it is in gear, just takes a lot more muscle to do so. I do know from the manual that this unit has a built in over running clutch if that helps.

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
First off, my hair stands on end when I read some one grabs a spinning pto shaft. Good way to loose an arm.
It is likely the pto clutch. I believe it is all accessible from the back. The pto clutch and shaft should come out the back. I am probably wrong but thats how it looks in the parts book.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
It's not a clutch problem at all. The over running clutch is doing its job and letting it spin free until the momentum stops. My B6100 has a transmission driven pto if I run something small like the auger or power rake the pto stops when I press in the clutch. Now if I'm running the bush hog or finish mower which has alot more force at work then yeah it takes forever for the pto to come to a stop.

Been that way for the 10 years I've had my 6100 and that way for 30 plus years my dad has had his L275 with a live pto.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
When i depress the clutch, the PTO stops
That tell you it's not a live or independant pto. It's driven by the transmission.

You said the pto spins slowly until it stops when it's hooked to a implement. Is it doing this while it's in gear? Or does it do this after you push the clutch in?

I just want to make sure we understand what your trouble is. If it's slowing to a stop after you clutch it then that's normal. If it's stopping with the pto engauged then it sounds like clutch trouble.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Ok looking at my book I can tell you that the L245 and L185 share a transmission. You have a dead PTO (cannot stop wheels without stopping PTO) driven via gear off the main shaft in the transmission but there is an overrunning clutch built into the transmission so you can safely stop before your implement spins down. So it's not a hydraulic problem. If the main clutch is the problem then when you're driving while running an implement you'll feel the whole tractor slowing down and probably jerking a bit as it slips. Do that test and tell us what you get. The next most likely failure point is the overrunning clutch.

mtnhigh

Equipment
1980 305-DT 4X4 w/1720 FEL & 72" Gannon
Dec 20, 2012
Mountain Center,CA USA
If your not having trouble moving your tractor under load then it's a good bet the clutch plate is fine. I'd be looking at the overrunning clutch. The overrunning clutch assembly is used to transmit power from the PTO countershaft to the output shaft. It allows the PTO shaft to continue to turn without driving the tractor forward when you depress the clutch. Your 245 should have a Sprag-type overrunning clutch. You should be able to turn the output shaft freely clockwise, this would be normal. It should not turn counter- clockwise, I'd be looking at the inside and outer surfaces of the overrunning clutch. If the unit is old I'd suspect this first, if its been replaced see if the unit has been installed the right way it can go in backwards! Unfortunatly the front trans must be seperated to repair, and there's no way to get that look inside. This is my edducated guess to your problem with what info you've given. As always get more opinons utill you feel comfortable. Good luck.

nathanbratt

Equipment
L245 DT
Feb 9, 2013
graff, mo
Thanks for the info guys,
The tractor drives fine and I have no problem with the main clutch slipping because my wheels never lose power even when pulling out a stump or something of that nature. The problem is I have no power at the rear PTO. It spins when I put the PTO in gear, but if i have it connected to an implement, it does not spin. I ordered a new over running clutch assembly off ebay that came out of an L185. I am posting some pics, does it look like the right part?

Attachments

Sterno

Equipment
Kubota B6100D, B7100HST, Ber-Vac S51 3PT Snowblower, Kubota A450
Dec 9, 2012
Summerland, British Columbia
I've never seen one that looks like your picture.
nathanbratt's picture is of the PTO clutch built into the tractor inside the transmission, yours is an external add-on.

The part certainly looks similar to what's in the parts diagram and unless there's stripped gears/splines in his trans it is the only suspect left.

Both L185and L245 show the same part# for the clutch housing (3511021870), so it should be the correct part.

Last edited:

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Yes thats the right piece. The l185 piece should fit. The acutual clutch is inside the larger piece. I think mtmhigh is right describing how ir should behave.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
Seems like you ought to be able to disassemble the override and replace only the sprag/bearing component. Please post some pics when you get it disassembled.

mtnhigh

Equipment
1980 305-DT 4X4 w/1720 FEL & 72" Gannon
Dec 20, 2012
Mountain Center,CA USA
I agree with Stumpy, it apears to be the right one now the key question, being you didn;t show us the important side. Is there six more parts in the clutch? Lets say first a bearings, it looks like you have the spacer then comes the front coupling with the sprag clutch around it another bearing then the inside snap-ring. Are they all there? Also while you have your case split, eventhough you say your clutch is fine I'd check the disc, plate, throwout brg, realease lever and pilot brg if your model has one. Also I'd check the rear engine freeze plugs behind the flywheel while you're at it. Its better to do these things if they need it, than being forced to later when you need the tractor most! Get-er-done.....