L245dt exhaust fix or no???

donp815

Equipment
L3010 W/front loader and backhoe: Satoh Beaver W/tiller
Jul 2, 2011
Clarksburg, WV
After knocking off 3 mufflers by low hanging limbs, I finally broke the goose-neck and manifold on my old Kubota. (I think a 1978, looks very similar to the one at the top of this page.) I bought it about 25 years ago when it had less than 200 hrs. (Still less than 800) on it and use it mainly for brush hogging.

I purchased a new manifold and had a friend weld a 1-1/4 inch pipe collar on a plate that was drilled to fit the manifold. I ran pipe at 45 degree angle and measured and threaded so that it cameback just below and beside of the left foot rest. This is running about 6 feet of 1-1/4 inch pipe. The inside diameter is larger than the muffler and there is no restriction as it is straight through. It is also as quiet as it was with the muffler. As far as I can tell, it was a perfect solution to the low tree limbs.

My question: Will this do my engine any harm? The pipe should transfer the heat away from the engine and I don't think the muffler had enoughl back-pressure to be noticed.

All opinions appreciated and if it is a good idea, hope someone else can use it. Cannot get pix now as I can't go out in cold weather because of bad lungs.

Big Kahuna

Equipment
Kubota 2000 L3010 HST with Loader ,1992 B7100HST , 1979 B6100E & 2007 F2880
Dec 23, 2011
Homer City, Pa.
My neighbor just put a muffler on his from a large air cooled engine, it's about 6 inches round and 4 inches thick, been on his for years like that.

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
It won't hurt it. You're really only concerned with holding enough heat in the exhaust manifold that the valves do not cool too quickly upon shut down, 2 feet is probably more than enough to do that, heck the manifold itself might be enough. Your exhaust system was not "tuned" to improve intake efficiency to start with so any change on the "back pressure" as most term it is negligible. Most of the restriction is in the manifold anyway.

donp815

Equipment
L3010 W/front loader and backhoe: Satoh Beaver W/tiller
Jul 2, 2011
Clarksburg, WV
It won't hurt it. You're really only concerned with holding enough heat in the exhaust manifold that the valves do not cool too quickly upon shut down, 2 feet is probably more than enough to do that, heck the manifold itself might be enough. Your exhaust system was not "tuned" to improve intake efficiency to start with so any change on the "back pressure" as most term it is negligible. Most of the restriction is in the manifold anyway.
I realize this is an old post, but I had posted my thanks while it was new. I must have clicked wrong button as I don't see them.
Anyway, thanks for the input. Was worried this may have caused the problem I'm now having with something on top of one piston stopping it from cranking a full turn. Thanks again to all!!!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Might want to remove the valve cover and see what it looks like. Maybe a valve spring has given up. Hope not!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I would pull the glow plugs or injectors, as it could have a leaking injector and has hydro locked on diesel. ;)