L245DT changing differential oil

AshleyBS55

Equipment
L245DT 4WD
Sep 30, 2013
Palestine, WV, US
First off, I want to thank everyone, especially D2Cat and North Idaho Wolfman, for their help in getting my L245DT up and running. I have reinstalled the after-market power steering unit and have my tractor running great thanks to everybody. This is a great web site. I've replaced all my hydraulic lines on my end loader, and thankfully, I did not have to rebuild my injector pump.

I'd like to finish this project by making sure all my fluids are replaced and up to date. I've changed everything except the front differential fluids. I've found the drain plugs for the differential and the outer drives. I've found where I fill the outer drives. I can't, however, find where I fill the main differential.

I've looked in the owner's manual and the shop manual (Thanks, Wolfman, for giving me access to that).

Once this is done, my tractor will be up to date and ready to go to work.

AshleyBS55

Equipment
L245DT 4WD
Sep 30, 2013
Palestine, WV, US
So there are only two places to put the oil? The top side on the right and the top side on the left? It calls for 1.2 qt. at in the outer drive and .8qt. in the front differential. Do I put 1.2 in the right side and .8 in the left?

Thanks again, Wolfman.

AshleyBS55

Equipment
L245DT 4WD
Sep 30, 2013
Palestine, WV, US
Oh I forgot to ask in last post. What size are the nuts? My socket set goes to 19mm, but that's not large enough. I only want to buy the socket size I need.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Does this help clarify things?
You put .8 quarts in the right and .8 quarts left gear case at #30
You put 1.2 quarts in at #4 (there could be 2 of them, one right one left but they both lead to the same place.)

You did drain the fluid at three places right?

Sorry I don't know what size nuts the plugs are, and they really shouldn't be very tight.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

AshleyBS55

Equipment
L245DT 4WD
Sep 30, 2013
Palestine, WV, US
Yes, that really clarifies it. Thanks. I haven't drained anything yet. I wanted to be sure I had all the info first. Number 30 looks difficult to get to, but I'm sure I can figure it out. Thanks again for all your help. This little tractor is a beast and I'm going to be really happy having it up and running again.

AshleyBS55

Equipment
L245DT 4WD
Sep 30, 2013
Palestine, WV, US
Wolfman,
Everything went well changing the differential oil, but I do have one concern. I didn't feel as much oil came out of the main differential as did each outer one. Also, when I put 1.2 oz. in the main differential, it overflowed. Any thoughts?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Common issue, one of 2 things happened.
The drain plug is off to one side and the other side was still holding oil, or when you refilled it it needed to burp, go back and double check the level. ;)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
About the only way to check it is to look in the hole or use a dipstick, as to the amount if it's not at the top still then add in what you had left from the 1.2 gals that it needed.

As far as burping it, jack it up on the frame and tilt the axle side to side will do it.

AshleyBS55

Equipment
L245DT 4WD
Sep 30, 2013
Palestine, WV, US
OK, I drained and refilled the main differential. Everything looks good now. Engine sounds great and all new hydraulic hoses functioning properly.

Two things now:
1. I took it for a short test drive. When I turn left, there is a clanking noise in my front right wheel. I'm thinking ball joints or tie rod. I'll have to jack it up and check things out, but any thoughts beforehand would be great. It makes a noise twice every tire rotation.

2. After I parked it, I noticed a creamy/white fluid dripping from somewhere on the right back side of the engine near the fuel filter. I've never seen anything this color before. Thoughts? I plan to power wash it tomorrow so I can see exactly where this fluid is coming from.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Two things now:
1. I took it for a short test drive. When I turn left, there is a clanking noise in my front right wheel. I'm thinking ball joints or tie rod. I'll have to jack it up and check things out, but any thoughts beforehand would be great. It makes a noise twice every tire rotation.

2. After I parked it, I noticed a creamy/white fluid dripping from somewhere on the right back side of the engine near the fuel filter. I've never seen anything this color before. Thoughts? I plan to power wash it tomorrow so I can see exactly where this fluid is coming from.
Check the lug nuts first, then if not that, more likely bearing or gear issue.

Hydraulic fluid leak, look around the pump. ;)