l245-dt drives in neutral in gear locks up and dies

camaroguy71

Aug 26, 2014
sibley missouri us
hi new to the forum and have been searching for some answers haven't seen anything post with the same problem hoping some one has some info.
i have a l245-dt and it drives when you let off the clutch with the shifter in neutral and if you put it in a "gear slot" it tries to move a little but it "locks up" and bogs down as you release the clutch until it dies.

background first happened about a year ago my father used it to mow the pasture got it on the trailer had to roll it off had no reverse. also it wouldn't turn over with ignition so he was pull starting it against my advice just left it to sit until recently ive started working on it changed the starter solenoid it turns over cleaned fuel lines fed it fuel started up ranaway (thank god i had the clutch locked down) cut the fuel cleaned lubed pump works fine starts runs has throttle control but now im at the trans problem i drained the fluid and pulled the shifters and forks checked the forks, guide rods, ball bearings and lubed em still got same problem pulled it apart again checked gears they all slide but will only turn slid to certain points with the rear tires off the ground spinning slid to certain points they lock up and wont turn hoping someone can help thanks

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Shift forks are hopefully just out of alinement (can happen when pull started), they could be broke or a part could have come out of place, but it will be quick to find out, just pull the top of the transmission off!

Pull the top and take pictures and we'll help you figure it out. :D

Here is a rough picture where it's marked in yellow are bolts to pull the top off.
Send me a PM with an email addy and I'll send you a WSM manual to help out too.;)
Also can help fix the no start thing too! :cool:

Attachments

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Shift forks are hopefully just out of alinement, they could be broke but it will be quick to find out, just pull the top of the transmission off!

Pull the top and take pictures and we'll help you figure it out. :D

Here is a rough picture where it's marked in yellow are bolts to pull the top off.
Send me a PM with an email addy and I'll send you a WSM manual to help out too.;)

Heat must be getting to you again:p:D:cool: i don't see any pic:D. Never mind i see you rectified it ;)

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
You might check with your local dealer, if he has been around for a while. When the L185/245 was new, they had a problem with the transmission jamming in a gear. At the time - late 70's - it was a recall, and the dealer fixed whatever was wrong for free. This sounds like the same problem... Your dealer may remember a kit for it.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Cant say exactly what the approach would be, but i would consider moving the idler gears around to find neutral, then reinstall forks to check alignment. If it is a fork issue, it should be obvious.

2458n

Jun 21, 2010
covington ohio
Get her fixed. Your missing out on a fine little tractor. All the stuff [implements} from the small fords work great for this tractor. You have the four wheel drive which gives you low range to use with a tiller. If it costs some money do not worry they have held their value over 35 years.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Get her fixed. Your missing out on a fine little tractor. All the stuff [implements} from the small fords work great for this tractor. You have the four wheel drive which gives you low range to use with a tiller. If it costs some money do not worry they have held their value over 35 years.
Interesting.... good info. about the small fords matching well. I've got a 235 which is near identical to the 245 and I need implements. Does a small Ford FEL fit them too?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
camaroguy71,
Little concerned about a couple of the gears, looks like a couple have had the teeth rubbed down really bad.

In the shift forks look for bad pins or keepers that could allow things to get out of whack.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
belly Mower / MMM?
Same answer as the Loader, if not worse!
But then again, how many mmm have you ever seen on a ford?
Your chances of finding one would be very, very, great even if you look for it!

camaroguy71

Aug 26, 2014
sibley missouri us
yeah i noticed on a few of the gears at the beginning of the teeth but they still engage and disengage rather easily by hand the only thing ive noticed is at certain points you have to rotate the gears slightly to get them to engage and does anybody know if the second gears in from each side should slide on their shafts to the shafts of the out side gears? the splines seem like the same size but are just barely off.

camaroguy71

Aug 26, 2014
sibley missouri us
yeah i love this tractor it was my grandpas and we always used it to mow cut trails and as a carry all up in north Missouri where we deer hunted when i was younger after he passed we brought it home and have used it for mowing pasture and cutting trails out here with the brush hog. pulling cars and trucks out of the snow and mud the 4x4 really comes in handy,

my dad had been talking about selling it lately part of the reason ive cleared some time to work on it now that its coming along hes changed his mind but i think we might have to take it to a service shop to get this figured out

and your right it definitely would be worth it and good to know about the attachment i would love to get a front loader for it would really come in handy

Kurtis01

Equipment
Kubota L245 DT
Dec 15, 2014
Douglasville
I might be late but mine is doing something like yours but when i go to reverse and try to go forward as soon as i touch the gear shift it locks up. Bought 5 new balls and 3 springs that go in the top of the case and fixed mine' springs were to weak and balls we worn bad.
:D

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
camaroguy71:
I hope I'm not saying the obvious but the original symptoms (moving in neutral, locking up in any other gear) is a clear case of a gear mispositioned. The trans is designed to only allow one gear engaged at a time. If two are engaged its instant lockup.

My L345 did that years ago. With the top plate off I could observe one of the shift forks wasn't really working. The trans had gone into a gear when the fork hadn't yet taken in out of the gear it was already in.

On yours push the gears around in there until its really in neutral (free spin- no drive). Then watch what happens as a gear is selected and deselected. You'll find the one that is balky. Take care, Dick B

Last edited: