L2350DT adding temp gauge

baytiburon

Equipment
L2350
Apr 4, 2016
Thibodaux
L2350dt (year 1992) would like to add temp gauge, does anyone know if there is a plug on the engine that can be removed to add the temp sensor

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Right rear of the head.

If you don't have the WSM for your tractor just ask and I'll send you a link to download one. ;)

Attachments

Fedup

Apr 6, 2016
Winchester
That plug might be easy to access, but it's most likely a straight cut metric thread. You will need to remove it, identify the thread size/pitch, and then try to find matching adapter for your gauge to thread into. That may not be as easy as it sounds. I would look at the thermostat housing. There just might be a pipe plug somewhere that can be removed providing a port you can use.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
On my L305 it has the tapped hole for the temp sensor in the same location in the head. Yours may be different, but the thread is 12mm x 1.25 pitch.

You can go to a local O'Reilly Auto and pick up a pack of four fittings for sending units. One in the pack is 12mmx 1.25 pitch. Cost was around $10. That bag of fittings is located near their gauges.

I say this because I called the store, then went into the store, then went to hardware, then NAPA, and no one had that fitting. Then back to O'Really to get something else and happened to ask the manager!!!!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I would look at the thermostat housing. There just might be a pipe plug somewhere that can be removed providing a port you can use.

There isn't one there, I would have told him if there was one there, as yes it would be easier.

Attachments

Last edited:

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Resurrecting this thread from the dead. ;)

Just acquired a L2350DT and I absolutely MUST have an analog water temperature gauge. Oil pressure would be nice too....but coolant temp is a must have for me.

This thread seems to have petered out. Anyone come up with a viable solution for adding a temp gauge (hopefully water proof) and the requisite fittings?

I've searched and not come up with much.

Thank You,

Flint.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
OK revisiting this.

I ordered a Coolant Temperature Gauge and Sensor, confident I could find some place to mount the Sensor.

Temp Gage Kubota.jpg

I didn't like the idea of placing a sensor at the rear of the head for several reasons so I got to looking around for another spot. As luck would have it....Kubota already cast a 'boss' into the water jacket just to the side of the thermostat. It even has a hole about 1/2 the distance into the casting. It is clear they intended 'something' to be drilled, tapped and installed there.

Tstat Housing3.jpg

Once drilled...you can see the transition into the bore of the Water Jacket is perfect (right along the inside wall). This was engineered....no question about it.

Drill Tap Water Jacket.jpg

The sensor that came with my Gauge kit is only about an inch long so it would not protrude into the bore, but even if it had....it would have fallen below the bottom of the thermostat and not interfered in any way.

Sensor1.jpg

Sensor2.jpg

Continued Below:

Last edited:

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
With the location of the sensor selected. I went about installing the Gauge itself.

Those with a L2350DT (4 wheel Drive) will have a dash with a fuel gauge on the right, and multi-function gauge (tachometer/hour meter/battery and oil lights) in the center. So just to the left of the center gauge is the logical spot to add an auxiliary gauge.

Install9.jpg

The easiest and most precise way to create a hole in the dash is to use a Knock Out punch....but who has one of those right? So the next best thing is a bi-metal hole saw.

Install1a.jpg

But before you go 'hogging out' a hole in your dash with one of these....permit me to offer a few tips. If you've ever used a hole saw in thin metal (using a hand held drill) then you already know its going to 'catch' at some point and walk out of the hole. If you don't want it 'walking' across your nice dash....then do the following:

First cut a small block of wood that is 3/4" thick and carefully cut a hole in that with your hole-saw.

Install2.jpg

Next use the pilot drill in the hole saw to drill a pilot hole in your 'carefully measured' spot on the dash. Just barely punch through. THEN.....flip the drill bit over so that 'shank' is now exposed instead of the cutting edge.

Install3a.jpg

Now place your block of wood and hole-saw (with reversed bit) centered over the pilot hole in the dash.

Install4a.jpg

Continued below:

Last edited:

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Now hand place the hole-saw (not in a drill) in the block of wood, double check that everything looks square and where you want it.

Install4b.jpg

When satisfied all is well, clamp the pee-diddly out of the wooden block. It MUST not move. The purpose of the block is to contain and guide the hole-saw in conjunction with the reversed drill bit. DRILL SLOWLY!

Install4c.jpg

Take your time and drill slowly....a variable speed drill is helpful here. If all goes well, the result should be a nice, neat hole.

Install5.jpg

Install6.jpg

IF you need to dress the hole any or remove any burrs....then a half round file will do so easily.

Install7.jpg

Many dash mounted gauges require a 2-1/16ths hole. I recommend going one size smaller (2") as a certain amount of wobble will be present when drilling. I used a 2" hole-saw and the gauge dropped in perfectly.

Last edited:

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
^^^^^

IF you choose to mount your sending unit/sensor in the water jacket (drilled and tapped) you will need to do so 'in place'. I ordered a used water jacket intending to do all of that 'on the bench' and then just swap out the parts when ready.

Well.....I failed to look carefully at how the water jacket is mounted and as it turns out you can NOT access two of the nuts/bolts without first removing the water pump. So plan on doing it in place.

There is plenty of room to do it. Just remove the air intake hose on the right side of the engine. Remove the T-stat housing *upper* and the T-stat. Stuff a rag down the bore of the water jacket to catch any metal shavings. Drill it out and tap it.

Have a new T-stat gasket on hand (the new one's are metal). Good time to replace the T-stat if yours is old.

Button it back up, top off the radiator. Wire in your leads to the gauge. Check for leaks then fire it up.

Worked my tractor today pretty hard with a box blade and it never got over 170°F I was proud to see. I replaced my 180 Tstat with a 160° F unit since I live in a hot climate.

The gauge I used is also 'Back Lit' in case you need to see it after dark.

Back Lit.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Nice project and Very Nice Write-Up, Flintknapper!

I only wish you’d taken and posted a pic of the inside of that housing (for example, THIS view—AFTER you’d installed the sensor.)

Attachments

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
LOL at "clean, accurate hole"! I'm stealing that for purposes most nefarious.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Nice project and Very Nice Write-Up, Flintknapper!

I only wish you’d taken and posted a pic of the inside of that housing (for example, THIS view—AFTER you’d installed the sensor.)
It would look no different. The probe on the sensor doesn't protrude into the bore of the housing.

A longer one would/might.....but still won't interfere with the operation of the thermostat.

The probe portion of the sensor being somewhat smaller in diameter than the threaded portion allows it to be fully surrounded by the coolant, it just doesn't stick out into the bore of the water jacket.