L2250 rear main seal leak

Tractor Guy James

Premium Member

Equipment
L2250
Feb 7, 2024
I split it myself. New oem dual clutch & replace a pto countershaft I broke trying to run oak through a chipper! 1986 L2250 with original clutch.
Any Tips on Replacing the Rear Main Oil Seal...
I have a L2250DT and It is Leaking Engine Oil severely from the back of the Engine, I believe to be the Main Oil Seal leaking. I just bought it and it did have a leak, but after I changed the Oil it now runs out at about a rate of 1 quart per hour. So I need to Replace the Main Oil Seal, I believe. Does anybody have any tips to a remove everything in front and unbolting the engine and moving just the engine forward enough to access the main oil seal? That way I would not have to hoist it up. Right now I don't have a hoist yet.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Any Tips on Replacing the Rear Main Oil Seal...
I have a L2250DT and It is Leaking Engine Oil severely from the back of the Engine, I believe to be the Main Oil Seal leaking. I just bought it and it did have a leak, but after I changed the Oil it now runs out at about a rate of 1 quart per hour. So I need to Replace the Main Oil Seal, I believe. Does anybody have any tips to a remove everything in front and unbolting the engine and moving just the engine forward enough to access the main oil seal? That way I would not have to hoist it up. Right now I don't have a hoist yet.

I don't have any tips for ya James, just a "1 in a million" shot in the dark.

Make sure whatever engine "breather device' you have is clear. I have "seen people" replace gaskets/seals for oil leaks, only to find that they magically re-appear due to a blocked breather creating pressure in the engine.

Easy, fast, and free thing to check.

Reactions: 1 user

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Try taking out the top filler cap on the valve cover - put some bunched up rags around the hole so oil doesn't spatter everywhere. That should relieve any pressure building in the crankcase. Unless the oil pan is over-full, there shouldn't be a lot of oil pushing out the main crank seal (its just a wiper anyway - not an actual pressure seal).

Post back if there's a lot of blow-by coming out of the filler.