L225 Steering Gearbox

bob225

Equipment
L225
Aug 9, 2015
millerton ny us
Hi,
I just finished installing a new gearbox for my L225.
I've bolted it to the tranny and have filled it with gear oil.
Wanting to make sure that it was working before I put everything else back together I put a set of vise grips on the top of the post and tried to gently turn the post to see if the pitman arm moved and it doesn't seem to want to budge. (The new assembly didn't come with any instructions other than to fill it with gear oil which I did). Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

Thanks,
Bob

bob225

Equipment
L225
Aug 9, 2015
millerton ny us
How hard should it be to turn the steering shaft on a new steering gearbox?
Right now when I attach a vise grip to the top of the steering column and turn the pitman arm it moves about 1/8" back and forth. Does this sound normal?
(I'm afraid if I attach the steering wheel and apply even more pressure I might break something? I'm just trying to determine if this new gearbox is defective or not before assembling the rest of the tractor back together.
Thanks,
Bob

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
It shouldnt be that hard to turn I dont think.
I would sit the steering wheel on there and see how it moves as you will have more leverage with the steering wheel rather than vise grips.
I do know that on my L245F while the tractor is not running or just sitting still then it is fairly hard to turn the steering wheel. When my tractor is moving then its so much easier to steer. I understand your concern but Im thinking it feels hard to turn because of trying with vise grips and the tractor is sitting still.
If the gear box is defective I hope you can return it.
I dont guess I can help you much but maybe someone can give you a better answer based on more experience.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
It doesn't take much to turn a steering wheel, but that is much different then trying to turn it with a vice grip.

Set the wheel on the shaft and gently turn. Only move it it it freely moves. Don't jam anything. The steering wheel will give you leverage, but you still have control over pressure applied.