L225 Oil Leak

mlight36

Equipment
Kubota L225
Jul 10, 2021
Dingmans Ferry, PA
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum and a noob to tractors. I just saved a beautiful 70's model L225 from a property that had barberry bushes growing all around the tractor and now I'm trying to do the first clean out and inspection of it before diving into restoration. As soon as i got it on my flatbed, some type of oil started draining slowly out of a hole that could be missing a plug? Its not engine oil, but smells more like hydraulic fluid or could be transmission fluid (from what i found on youtube, it looks similar). I'm pretty mechanically inclined as I've built motors and done other car related resto's but never a tractor.
any help would be appreciated. In the picture with the red arrow where the oil is leaking from, i just shoved a random pin in the hole to keep the fluid from leaking out fast as i don't know how much fluid i can expect to come out.

image0.jpeg
tractorleak.jpg

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Strange place for fluid to leak but I assume that is just water and oily fluid draining out of the clutch plate bell housing. There may be a plug on the bottom of that area that will drain it also. But just put a 5 gallon bucket underneath the hole and start draining it out.

Then transmission fluid full level is the bolt in your picture by the clutch pedal (upper right of the two). I would suggest you see if the transmission is over full also. These are not the most water resistant tractors and everything may be full of water and oily fluid.

There are two drain points on the transmission case bottom and two or four on the rear wheel drive case. All draining the same sump.

Go to a Home Depot type store and buy several 5 gallon buckets and lids. Also they sell large black plastic pans to mix mortar (cement) in. Those work well to catch messes and drips while draining the fluid out of the transmission. There may be 10 or more gallons of fluid in the transmission.

Reactions: 1 user

mlight36

Equipment
Kubota L225
Jul 10, 2021
Dingmans Ferry, PA
Strange place for fluid to leak but I assume that is just water and oily fluid draining out of the clutch plate bell housing. There may be a plug on the bottom of that area that will drain it also. But just put a 5 gallon bucket underneath the hole and start draining it out.

Then transmission fluid full level is the bolt in your picture by the clutch pedal (upper right of the two). I would suggest you see if the transmission is over full also. These are not the most water resistant tractors and everything may be full of water and oily fluid.

There are two drain points on the transmission case bottom and two or four on the rear wheel drive case. All draining the same sump.

Go to a Home Depot type store and buy several 5 gallon buckets and lids. Also they sell large black plastic pans to mix mortar (cement) in. Those work well to catch messes and drips while draining the fluid out of the transmission. There may be 10 or more gallons of fluid in the transmission.
Thank you! I just found and downloaded the service manual online and will be going through a tear down starting today :)