L185 transmission oil level plug

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I had ordered a new plug for the transmission oil level plug and got it in. It is not the same as the plug currently in the tractor. The new plug is simply a square head plug (like a pipe plug) and the one currently in the tractor has a hex head and a sealing washer. No big deal, just odd.

Today I was taking the old plug out to clean it up and paint the head of it red and noticed that there was another similar plug toward the rear of the transmission near the hi/low selector handle.

This is the front port (near the clutch pedal) with the square head plug in it.
IMG_0362[1].jpg

This is the plug near the hi/low shifter level. It looks just like the hex head that was in the front port.
IMG_0363[1].jpg

Is the rear plug the same as the front plug - to check the transmission level?

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I wonder if the one near the clutch pedal is supposed to be the sight glass so you can see how much oil is in there. The one under the back of the tractor should be the drain plug.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Sorry for the confusion, I guess a few more descriptive words like "side of transmission" would help.

Here is a PDF of the parts list - it is number 4 and 5 in the PDF.
View attachment 037000.pdf

The part numbers are not the same as the plug and seal at the front of the transmission but the one at the front is the wrong part number for the hex head plug that is in my tractor.

The one at the rear is called a set screw but the parts list does not show what it is for.

This is mostly just curiosity. I assume that this is into the same cavity that is filled with the transmission fluid but I would hate to pull it out and hear something fall on the inside!

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The front one is your level plug.
The rear one is a drain.

Find your hydraulic suction screen yet?
Ok - If you say it is a drain I believe you, but what will it drain being half way up the side of the transmission case? I guess it could drain the housing with the 3PH speed control knob?

I understand that there are two drains on the bottom of the transmission and two on each axle case near the rear wheels (6 plugs total for the transmission). These drained out the fluid quantity that the transmission is supposed to hold.

Yes I found the filter screen and have replaced it and its cover. That was kind of a chore to get to and get the screen out since the muffler support was slightly in the way and the cover is just in the wrong place to get to easily. Nothing too bad though, just could have been easier if the muffler support was about a half inch further forward (or backward?).

I bought all new drains and covers just so I could paint them red so they are easy to spot since it took me about 4 looks to find them all searching through the parts lists and it was not definitive on how many were in the axle cases (2 or 4 total)

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
The operators manual for the L185 says the front plug is called the level plug.
I referred to the rear one as a drain because when I remove it fluid drains out. Seems legit right?
It is simply referred to as a plug in the op manual.

As for the 4 plugs on the rear axle case the bottom one is for draining, the top for refilling. I was told that gear oil is what belongs in there and that's what I've been using for the last 2 years. I'm confident the axles are independent from the transmission system as I've drained strictly the axles to change fluids. if I'm incorrect I'd appreciate a heads up asap.

I also have trouble getting to the filter screen but it's because of the loader. I have to remove a support bar to gain access, a real pita!

You should also locate and grease the throw out bearing. I stumbled upon that little tid bit while perusing the diy sections.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Yikes I hope the axles are not seperate or I am in trouble. I have not put any oil back into that, I understood the transmission and axles and the hydraulics are all from one sump. There was about a half gallon of fluid that would not "fit" in the sump, I only got about 5 gallons in before it ran out the side.

What page in the operators manual do you see any reference to the rear plug? Mine in not handy right now and I do not recall any reference to a plug in that area on the side of the transmission. The maintenance/lubrication page is not very clear in my manual since it appears to be a copy of a copy. If you have the original I might like to get a scan of a few of the pictures in the manual.

Here is what I understand to do to change the transmission fluid:
Remove the two drain plugs in the bottom of the transmission.
Remove the four plugs in the axle (two on each side)
Remove the fill cap (near the shift lever) to let air into case.
Let all the fluid drain.
Replace all 6 plugs.
Remove the level plug on the side of transmission case (near the clutch pedal)
Pour fluid into the fill hole (about 5.5 gallons I think) until it runs out the level plug on side of the transmission.
Oh, almost forgot - get tired of holding up 5 gallons of oil and spill about a half gallon all over the place!

I have not put any grease into the throw out bearing yet but I think I know where it is and just have not gotten to it yet.

The hard one for me to find was the one on the pivot point on the front axle on my 2WD L185F

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
Send me your email addy and I will provide you with the operators manual I am referring to. Page 26.
Remove the bottom plug on your rear axle and we will have our answer!
I as well would like some clarification on this.
My manual calls for 22 litres of fluid.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I will look into it and see whats going on. I thought I had read the WSM for the change procedure but will reveiw that and see what it says about that.

I guess the first thing to do is to see if there is any fluid that would come out of the upper hole.

It will be this weekend before I get to it.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I loosened the upper plug on the rear axle case and fluid came out so I know that everything is OK.

I had only put fluid into the main transmission fill port (on top of the case behind the gear change lever) after draining the rear axle case. The only way that fluid could be there is that it came from the transmission case.

I read the workshop manual and it says that to drain the transmission that you take out the plugs on the bottom of the transmission case and the 4 plugs in the rear axle case (2 on each side).

Everything points to the fact that the case and axle are all lubricated by the same fluid.