L185 temp gauge

T and S

Equipment
L185
Jan 6, 2011
Oak Ridge, Mo.
I would like to install a temp gauge on my L185. The reason being is that while running it drips a little antifreeze from the "whistle" hose. I checked the radiator and it is full, and the tractor does not seem to be overheating. I would like to really know what the temp is.
I did a search, and found a discussion on installing the fittings at the block drain, or in an adapter in the radiator hose. Their was some discussion about the accuracy of the read out in the various locations.
Did anybody test this theory, or are their any updates about where to install the fitting.

jmann

Equipment
L1500dt
Aug 28, 2010
St. Joseph, MO
IMO, your temp difference is not going to be enough to make a huge difference, depending on your gauge. In other words, if you have a decent gage that is graduated with real temp. marks, you'll know when you're running too hot. Having said that, I am about to put a radiator hose temp sensor setup on my L245DT.

T and S

Equipment
L185
Jan 6, 2011
Oak Ridge, Mo.
Does anybody know what the inside dia. is of an L185 upper radiator hose
(OEM Kubota hose) ?
I hate to ask such a question here, but it would be nice to know, so I can order the right adapter without having to remove the upper hose intill I am ready.
It just occured to me that old chevy's used to have the temperature sending unit mounted in the thermostat housing on the hose side, so using the adapter should work just fine in this application also.

beemer530

Equipment
85 B8200 HST 4WD w/ BF300 loader, box scraper w/rippers, Rhino brush hog
Jul 12, 2011
Maricopa, AZ
The previous owner of my B8200HST added a temperature gauge with the sending unit mounted in the thermostat housing by removing a factory threaded plug and inserting a short nipple and pipe fitting to allow clearance for the sensor. If you don't have this plug the the aftermarket adapter is the way to go. I don't know the temperature variation from top to bottom, but since heat rises and the combustion takes place in the upper part of the engine, the warmest area should be at the top right before the hot coolant is returned to the top of the radiator for cooling.

Beemer

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
If you search some old posts, I remember some body that rebuilt an L175 mounted a temperature sender in the front of the head near the water outlet.

I am guessing the L186 has the same thermo syphon cooling system as the L175, no water pump, right?

My L175 used to always push water out of the overflow pipe, until I really cleaned the whole cooling system. I had to refill the radiator before each use, but since I got most of the scale and rust out of the block I haven't had to add any coolant at all this year.

Robert