L185 ignition switch

Mikew22

Equipment
L185
Oct 11, 2019
El Dorado Arkansas
I have a 1979 L185 that has the key broke off in the ignition switch. Every time I kill it I have to take the positive battery cable off. I found it online but I don't really want to pay $65-$85 for a ignition switch (37150-3182). Can you use any universal switch or does anyone have a part number for one that is cheaper than the original?

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Do you still have the old piece of key? You could try a tiny drop of Super Glue to attach the old piece then pull the rest of the key out - don't try to turn it, just pull straight out. Didn't work? All is not lost. Most tractor switches are expensive because they're not real common with that glow plug position. That part burned out on the original key switch on my Mitsubishi. I went to my local NAPA dealer and bought a cheap automotive ignition switch. That let me start and run the tractor but I had no glow plug circuit. I installed a heavy duty spring loaded to off toggle switch on the dash for that function. The two parts together were FAR less than $80. Be sure to disconnect the battery before beginning a wiring project like this.

Mikew22

Equipment
L185
Oct 11, 2019
El Dorado Arkansas
Do you still have the old piece of key? You could try a tiny drop of Super Glue to attach the old piece then pull the rest of the key out - don't try to turn it, just pull straight out. Didn't work? All is not lost. Most tractor switches are expensive because they're not real common with that glow plug position. That part burned out on the original key switch on my Mitsubishi. I went to my local NAPA dealer and bought a cheap automotive ignition switch. That let me start and run the tractor but I had no glow plug circuit. I installed a heavy duty spring loaded to off toggle switch on the dash for that function. The two parts together were FAR less than $80. Be sure to disconnect the battery before beginning a wiring project like this.
I do not have the other piece of the key so that's a no go. As far as the glow plug part the L185 has a separate switch on the opposite side of the dash for that. Now the key switch might have something to do with it also too but im not sure

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Go to youtube.com and search for broken key.

There are lots of simple ways to remove broken key stubs from locks.

Kubota keys are not like car or truck keys which are unique to a particular vehicle.

Your dealer can provide a key which will work for any L series.

Dave