L185 Considering Purchase

BLH

Equipment
L185
Feb 4, 2014
Eastover, SC Richland County
I just took a look at a 1980 L185 tractor. Starts right up and everything works. It is in excellent condition and has only 565 hours on the clock (it works I checked). It comes with a 59" Woods Brothers belly deck finishing mower and a 5' scraper blade. I looks garage kept (no tears in seat no fading on paint or rot on tires). The gentleman is asking $3,900 for the package. I am need a multi use mower for around the 17 acre retreat ministry site my wife and I direct. My question is two part, one is it a good price and two what is the price and availability of attachments (flail mower, brush hog, rotor tiller, etc...). Thanks in advance for any and all help.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sound like a pretty fair deal, should serve you well.

That's a pretty standard size sub compact, implements can run the whole range of price, and there are a lot of different options available.
look on EBay or craigslist to find new and used, I also look in dealers used lots for things that I might need.

slgrafton

Equipment
L245, bx2350
Jan 1, 2013
MD
I have a L245 my dad bought new in the 70's. It's the big brother of the L185. The tractor was abused when I was younger but it is bulletproof. The tiller we have on the back was a lot for that tractor but we have very sticky clay soil. If you have more loamy soil or sandy, a tiller will be fine. You will need weights on the front for a bush hog.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Sounds like a decent price tag for one in as good as of a shape you say its in. As mentioned by others there is a wide array of implements available the L185 can utilize.

BLH

Equipment
L185
Feb 4, 2014
Eastover, SC Richland County
Thanks all so far for your input. I believe later today I will pull the trigger and make the purchase. Our ministry really needs more than a residential mower and the utility of the tractor makes it a good fit. Blessings.

gssixgun

Equipment
L3600, FEL, SnoBlower, Box Blade, Rear Blade, Forks, Cultivator, Plow
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com
I had a 1979 L185DT

That is what I traded in when I bought the L3600

Honestly it did about everything I needed it to for the 7 years I owned it and it had 1000's of hours more then the one you are looking at :)

The 60'Snow Blower was a little big for it, but just so long as I stayed ahead of the snow I was fine..
Ran a 54" Back blade and a 60'Box blade off of it for the gravel road, only problem was with wet gravel in the box blade I had to think ahead a bit..

I did have an FEL..

The way the gears work and the PTO also takes a bit of thinking, however I loved the dual speed PTO lever...

All in all a good tractor,,, I got $2250 on the trade with the FEL only

They rebuilt the engine and replaced the front wheels that were literally crumbling and were asking $4400 on it...

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
The L185 has about 13.5 PTO horse power. In really tall heavy grass you will end up in low gear, but it should do it. The 3 point hitch is standard type 1, so there are any number of implements available.
I think $3900 is on the high side. Even though it is low hours, it is obsolete. If something major breaks you might have a time finding the right part. With 17 acres you really will want a loader. I'd keep my eyes open for a DT version of that, a B series or a L245, with a loader, probably for the same $$.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
If I could ever find someone to come up off of some money for my B6100 I'd love to own a L185 with a loader.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
I am not sure if you are talking about a 4x4 tractor or not. If it is 2 wheel drive I would not buy it. You really want a 4x4 with a loader. For general property maintenance you will find constant uses for the loader.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I own a 2WD L185 and you will only be able to put a 4 foot mower on it. Any larger and it will be way too light on the front end. I even put extra weight on the front to make it more stable. My property is fairly flat with a few humps and the front would come up if you hit them too fast.

Also I have about 4 acres to mow (mow about 90% of the 4 acres) and it takes a while (3-4 hours?) to get it done. I have a lot of trees to go around so it is slower than open field.

Overall, it is a great little tractor and the price was about what you are stating but I got a 4 foot back blade and a tiller (3 foot?).

If you are wanting to keep up with 17 acres total you may want to think a bit larger but the L185 will do well, just take more time.