L175 comp ball nut

orangeburner99

Equipment
1975 L175
Mar 4, 2010
Colorado
Well I lost my steering completely and got it into the garage to tear apart and found the 2 bearings in the steering box totally gone and the bearings in the ball nut missing also. Now can I just get away with finding bearings to put back in the tubes or do I need to purchase the whole assembly?

And another question, My tack is broke. It just spins in a complete circle. Is there any way to fix them diy or do I need to buy a new tach.

FYI Ive only owned this thing for over a year and the troublsome areas are showing. Thank you for replies!

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Well I lost my steering completely and got it into the garage to tear apart and found the 2 bearings in the steering box totally gone and the bearings in the ball nut missing also. Now can I just get away with finding bearings to put back in the tubes or do I need to purchase the whole assembly?

And another question, My tack is broke. It just spins in a complete circle. Is there any way to fix them diy or do I need to buy a new tach.

FYI Ive only owned this thing for over a year and the troublsome areas are showing. Thank you for replies!
You're gonna be a really great wrench with this tractor in no time!

Dusty just had some steering problems. He will be along soon. He's very good at helping out.

Scott

orangeburner99

Equipment
1975 L175
Mar 4, 2010
Colorado
I took a class on these things in high school but that was over 5 years ago and we had new tractors. But I gotta say I love these things.

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Trying to reload those balls inside those tubes is a nightmare, like trying to push a shoelace through tunnel.

Check that worm on the shaft real close, one nick and it will take the reloaded ballnut apart again.

I've always done new ballnut and shaft, new bearings top and bottom, new upper column bushing, new sector and loser column oil seal, as well as a new sector end case gasket.

Check out our articles and vids on steering box overhaul. I think I can do them in my sleep now.
Just to add a little from my experience. I was rebuilding the steering gearbox on my toyota pickup and the bearings were becoming a absolute nightmare, just like the shoe lace Vic mentioned.

I grabbed one of my kids strong magnets and stuck it on the cross over tube. It worked and held them in there and made the job way easier. But you need a really strong magnet.

Scott

orangeburner99

Equipment
1975 L175
Mar 4, 2010
Colorado
Thanks for the help guys. I seen the vid and article on how to repair the steering box. I just might try putting new bearings in the worm gear myself first. Its hard to stomach 175.00 bucks for the whole thing.

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
awesome! Thanks dusty-t for that site it helped out a bunch!
Putting jell in the cross over tubes is a good idea. Too bad I didn't think of that when I did mine.

I used small diameter wire wrapped around them to keep them together and then the magnet to hold all the bearings in tact.
It worked but the jell sounds pretty good.

You can do this job. I have faith in you!

Scott

royboy42

Equipment
L something or nother
Sep 8, 2009
macon ga
Just checked out the how to. Awesome write-up. also saw where they had to close up shop today. Sad.