L1500 servicing

Ironman2

Equipment
L185 or L1501, tiller, brush mower
Aug 28, 2018
Warburg, AB, Canada
First post here.
I have acquired a L175 with 834 hours on the clock, that I determined to be a L1500 because of the 4 speed PTO.
It has been cared for, but I am going over everything, and so far in all the manuals and service data I have collected there is nothing about the brakes or the final drive that is at all like what on this tractor.
It appears to have internal brakes, and the final drive system is similar to the pinion and bull gear system that Cat uses. There is a drain or level plug about 2 inches off the bottom of the final drive case.

Everything I read on this says the oil in the transmission and diff is the same oil and also the finals. That's great, except they are not talking about this unit.
If anyone has this same setup, I would appreciate advice on lubrication, and the ins and outs of the brakes on this.

Thanks

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds like you have a row crop unit.

Take some pictures of what you have, since you don't have five posts it will block you from posting them, send me the pictures and I'll repost them for you. ;)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Ironman2,
I have emailed you a copy of the WSM that I have that covers that style of rear axle, look on page 50. ;)

Ok pictures tell all:
That actually looks like a L1501 so an L185

These are reposts of your tractor:

L175:

Brake lever:

PTO:

Left Final:

Right final:

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes the finals share the same fluid as the Transmission/ Rear Differential and the brakes are a wet type internal, probably a single disk type.

It is not a high row unit, they only made a few of those models L245H being one of them.

The high row crop units have the final drives fixed strait up and down not swept to the rear. ;)

Ironman2

Equipment
Aug 28, 2018
Warburg, AB, Canada
Thanks for posting the pics.
The brakes make a groaning sound that is not healthy, some dimbulb has driven off with the brakes locked on methinks. I thought when I first test drove it, that it was just rusty drums, not really having a clue about it. Wet disks are not supposed to sound like this so I guess that is on the to do list now.

So I guess the hood stickers were given out as a reward in kindergarten and pasted on, they are meaningless.:rolleyes:
You have nailed the rears on page 50, that is exactly what I have. So it must be a L185. I have not found the hidden serial and mod number that must be on it.

I am still impressed with this machine, it has nice power, and low speeds which are perfect for row work, and pulling an undercutter when harvesting garlic.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I’ll look at my L185 manual to see what type of brakes they have. Mine make a loud groaning if I forget to release them and try to move the tractor. They also make noise when applied hard like making a turn

I assume they are not wet brakes but don’t recall what the manual shows since it has been years since I looked at it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

xmikew

Equipment
L1500DT
Apr 15, 2017
Charleston
Welcome to the forums. Nice looking tractor! Looks to be in good shape. Not sure why someone stuck the l175 stickers in there instead of the 185s. The high low handle on the 185 is center of the shifters? Mine on the l1500 is way down on the left. Man that’s nice! It’s the little things. People always referred to it has creeper gears so I thought it was slower than low!

For parts I tend to use Messick’s. Fast shipping. The other common supplier is Coleman’s.

Also I see you have a brush hog. Not sure if the l1501s have a overrunning clutch. L1500 does not. Just something to keep in mind.

I’ll admit I’ve taken off with brakes locked before. :)

- Mike

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Wolfman, as you are a grey tractor guru, and I can see me needing brake parts, who do you recommend for supplies?
Being that your in canada, I hope some others up north chime in.
Down here it's Coleman equipment or Messick's for parts.

Just about any Kubota dealer can get you the parts you need but you'll have to be sly and give them the part numbers and if any ask just say it's for an L185 as a Kubota dealer can't sell you parts for a grey. ;)

Ironman2

Equipment
Aug 28, 2018
Warburg, AB, Canada
Being that your in canada, I hope some others up north chime in.
Down here it's Coleman equipment or Messick's for parts.

Just about any Kubota dealer can get you the parts you need but you'll have to be sly and give them the part numbers and if any ask just say it's for an L185 as a Kubota dealer can't sell you parts for a grey. ;)
I realize that Kubota can supply what I need. I just find that the bandit masks make me nervous.
The 3 point hitch adjustable side link had stripped it's threads recently, so I asked Kubota for a price for one for a L175, which I thought I had....
They offered me one for $313 and could have it in a couple days.:eek:

I went to the local Princess Auto and picked up a large turnbuckle which looks like almost an exact replica of the Kubota side link with different ends. I will cut off the ends on the Kubota link and weld them onto this turnbuckle and I am good to go for 23 bucks.

So I can see brake parts being costly, and the sounds when using the brake to turn does not sound healthy. Russell King has the same problem, that sounds like metal to metal to my ears. I will be comparing prices with US for sure.