L1200 Loader for L225 Help?

thahn1608

Equipment
L225 with K-600 Backhoe
Mar 30, 2020
Peach Bottom, PA
I scored a complete parts L225 with an L1200 loader for only $500.

I have another L225 with a K600 backhoe that needs a loader. It will be a direct swap, but the L1200 needs some fab work to put the bumper back on.

A previous owner cut the bumper off and cut back the sides of the subframe (see attached pics).

Can someone help me with the dimensions of the subframe arm lengths and the bumper size (see attached pics)? I have watched a lot of YTube videos and have searched a lot of pictures so I have an idea of how it should look and function when done, but I don't know the sizes to fabricate the missing pieces.

I have some structural work to do to this loader's front mount as it has been broken several times and crudely fixed. The loader itself is in great shape - just needs paint.

The previous owner was back dragging and caught a tree stump with the bucket and broke the front axle to engine block mount (see attached pic). The tractor is in rough shape, but it has a plate where the engine was professionally reconditioned at some point. All the parts are there so it will make an excellent parts tractor for mine. I bet the motor would run if I tried starting it.

Attachments

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I am not answering your specific question but rather pointing out some issues for you to consider.

The two cut off frame rails are not sitting square to the tractor. See the exaggerated yellow lines I added to your photo.

Many small tractor loader installations incorporated a stiffening arch where I have added red lines.

See photo of tractor with this feature.

As it looks right now, the two loader frames are tilted out at the top and this will compromise their lifting action.

The purpose of the front bumper is more to stabilize the two loader frame rails so they remain parallel and square.

I suggest you focus more on getting and securing the major parts together than exact dimensions. Common sense will guide you to the sizes and lengths you need to fabricate.

Dave

Attachments

thahn1608

Equipment
L225 with K-600 Backhoe
Mar 30, 2020
Peach Bottom, PA
Yeah, I have some things I need to fix. I plan to re-engineer the braces. Without that bumper I can see where the loader arms bent and broke the front arm mount several times and it has been poorly fixed.

I'm working on some new designs for the front mounts - it has a hinge point that I think is a weak point (obviously) Where the arms attach I want to add some additional bracing from the back mount to the front mount so there is less stress on the engine block.

I see your point about adding something in the back across the top. I'm going to add that to the list of things to deal with. I did notice that there are only a couple bolts that hold the loader to the brackets.

Attached are a couple shots of the front mount that has been repaired time and time again. Obviously there is a cause there that needs addressed - thus why I want to fix the loader frame and bumper.

Thanks for the input!

Attachments

dbcooper

Equipment
l225dt, 1200 bucket, scraper, rototiller
Jul 5, 2010
Walnut Creek, CA
And these are the dimensions I need.
Hello Hello,

I just read your post and measured my 1200 loader, in case you were still working on it. My two pictures show the measurements you asked for. Maybe it can help someone else as well. As also said in this thread, I don not think these dimensions are critical.

It is my opinion that the left and right frame rail bars are meant to support part of the additional forces on the front axle from using a loader to pick up heavy items. I am not a fan of the way the casting that supports the front axle is mounted to the front of the block. It can either damage the block or snap the fasteners off in the block. I switched to grade five studs and put grade 2 nuts on the studs. I would rather the nuts strip off the studs than either of the other two failures.

I also think the frame rails should be beefier and have some diagonal bracing if the loader is really being taxed. I think they deflect too much before they would pickup much load.
On the other hand, my tractor made it 40+ years before breaking two bolts on the casting mount.

If anyone would like to share a copy of the service manual for the L225DT, I would appreciate it. I have copies of the loader manual and parts diagram/list I can share.

Attachments