L Series power steering cylinder

Fedup

Apr 6, 2016
Winchester
I'm currently working on the steering cylinder from an L4200DT. I have the cylinder out and (somewhat) dismantled. Except for one of the wire rings that hold the head/seal retainer in the barrel. I fought with it for a while today with no luck. I can't get a good enough angle to slip a pick under it. My next attempt will involve a welding tip and heating the center of it to soften it and maybe I can get under it that way. I've had to do that before in some cases.

I just wonder what others do/use to get these out? This package is evidently common to a large number of L series DT models, so I know a number of you have had to deal with it before. What works for you?

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Sometimes I drill a small hole through the barrel in line with the ring groove, then just push the ring out of the groove. It is common to see a hole drilled in barrels by other manufactures.

Reactions: 1 users

Fedup

Apr 6, 2016
Winchester
I like that idea. Will look at that tomorrow. If you hit the ring close enough to dead center the drill bit itself might push it out. I could have drilled a dozen holes in the time I've fought with it so far.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
If you hit the ring close enough to dead center the drill bit itself might push it out.
Yes, sometimes it does, and sometimes if you let the bit go clear through, it catches the ring and breaks the drill bit.
If the ring will spin in the barrel, you can drill the hole at the gap and then spin the ring over the hole.

Fedup

Apr 6, 2016
Winchester
I don't believe I've been able yet to get it to move. so drilling in the gap might not help much. I think think aiming for the ring about 1/4" or so from the gap would be my best bet. If I can get it out of the groove there I can most likely get under it with a pick.

I think I can do it without breaking the bit. We'll see.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I don't believe I've been able yet to get it to move. so drilling in the gap might not help much. I think think aiming for the ring about 1/4" or so from the gap would be my best bet. If I can get it out of the groove there I can most likely get under it with a pick.

I think I can do it without breaking the bit. We'll see.
I rarely break the bit, but it has happened.

Fedup

Apr 6, 2016
Winchester
In case anyone is interested, that worked slicker than I'd hoped for.

It's rather ironic, because when I was first attempting to remove the ring, I looked all around the cylinder wondering if maybe Kubota had put a hole somewhere for that purpose. Of course I didn't find one. Never occurred to me I could just drill one.