L 3800 question/troublshoot? Fuel?

PWM3rd

Equipment
L3800; Landpride RCR1260; BB1260; GS15; RB15; Titan PForks; PTB;
Jan 24, 2014
Central Illinois
Today I was working my tractor and while backing up from a slight downhill grade, "she" sputtered and shut off. All 3 times this occurred, she started right back up. I was running RPMs at about the same I do when operating my rear brush cutter. Any ideas...?? Started thinking some bad diesel or fuel filter? With only 65+ hours on tractor, I have yet to change it out. This is the first time this has ever happened and with it happening three in about 10 minute span I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions or what to suspect/check? Thanks.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Not clear to me if you were backing up all three times. Also not clear if you were running PTO at the times.

However, sounds like a seat switch. When you were backing, were you turning your body to look behind?

Anyway, I would check that first.

PWM3rd

Equipment
Jan 24, 2014
Central Illinois
Not clear to me if you were backing up all three times. Also not clear if you were running PTO at the times.

However, sounds like a seat switch. When you were backing, were you turning your body to look behind?

Anyway, I would check that first.
Jim L.

Yes I was backing each time, and RPM was at speed I run during PTO use. I was seated. I was at a slight downhill incline, backing up the hill I was on. I've replicated same backing a hundred times since becoming a tractor owner and never had happen before. Concerning that something my be going on??? Thanks ...

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
PWM,

The seat switch can be evil!:)

If I looked to the right and shifted weight slightly to look down, my 3800 would quit too.

Wiggle your butt around, shifting your weight hard to the four corners... See if you can replicate the issue. If so, its the dadgum seat switch. VERY easy fix: Bend the bracket up a little to make sure the lever has good contact with the seat.

Good luck!

:)

PWM3rd

Equipment
Jan 24, 2014
Central Illinois
PWM,

The seat switch can be evil!:)

If I looked to the right and shifted weight slightly to look down, my 3800 would quit too.

Wiggle your butt around, shifting your weight hard to the four corners... See if you can replicate the issue. If so, its the dadgum seat switch. VERY easy fix: Bend the bracket up a little to make sure the lever has good contact with the seat.

Good luck!

:)
Awesome CCR...I'll be tryin this tomorrow...thanks.

PWM3rd

Equipment
Jan 24, 2014
Central Illinois
Just had my new Landpride grading scraper delivered by my dealer. (GS1560) Tractor replicated shutting off as described in initial post above. He says it's fuel and I need to be using a diesel additive... he suggested "911"....which I've never heard of?...Anyway...what is a good additive to use in warm and cold months? I have a Farm & Home, TSC and Big R close to house. Thanks OTT network...

PWM3rd

Equipment
Jan 24, 2014
Central Illinois
How old is your fuel, and where do you store it? 500 gal tank or 5 gal plastic?
Jim.L.

New diesel and I use 5 gallon tanks. I keep 2 of 3 cans full all the time and rotate each can. I never realized diesel needed treated in warm months. This the first diesel I have owned.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
There should be nothing wrong with your diesel fuel.

My opinion: if you look at the EPA testing for additives, they do nothing. We had one outfit here in Texas shut down by attorney general for selling pills which turned out to be moth ball ingredient. Again, my opinion, nothing but a waste of money.

If you were storing fuel for years then maybe a biocide or stabilizer. But that is not your situation.

Most likely cause of shutdown is the safety switch. Next some electrical problem. With only 65 hours it is unlikely to be a fuel problem. Over the long haul, play the percentages of failure and it saves time.

Check the fuel filter holder and see if any water is sitting in the bottom of the see-thru bowl. Don't think you will see any.

I'm not going to suggest jumpering the seat switch, because that is a safety device. But you could rig some indicator to rule out electrical problems before going to fuel system.

Did I mention I think additives are a waste of money?

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Mine was doing this a couple months ago and it was not the seat switch. Mine was a fuel problem. I treated the fuel in the tank and the other 4-5 jugs I have and changed the fuel filter. No more problem. Heard from a couple others around here complaining about junk growing in the fuel tanks.

Last edited:

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
OK then.

If there be critters, then adding a diesel biocide would be the right thing to do.

I'd do that and check off that box.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I just went to the local two pump station up the road (town is 23 miles away) that most of the farmers around here use and asked the lady what everybody used, she sold a bottle of gold colored stuff and said this is the stuff. It worked... :cool:

eddiebob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, JD 40
Mar 23, 2014
Poplarville, Mississippi
Fuel Additives

Several concerns with diesel fuel are the lubricity (or lack of) and gelling in cold weather. Condensation in the tank can also be an area of concern. I live in the deep south so gelling in cold weather is not one of my problems. There are more than a couple of fuel additives that address these issues. I've always kept an extra fuel filter in all of my diesel vehicles, cheap insurance. And finally always store your tractor with a full tank of fuel. Check your visible fuel filter often and just because you just bought fuel does not mean it can't have some water in it. Thanks.