L 3400 jumpy 3PH

kubby 2013

Equipment
L2850, L3400, Jd 5103, MF 205 Ind., IH364, Jd 410 backhoe/Loader, Jd 350 Dozer,
May 13, 2013
Old Town, Maine
Has there ever been a solution found for the jumpy 3PH problem on the L 3400 tractors? Mine seems to be even worse than it was. Maybe it just me.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The 100% solution is to get a valve for a grand L.

Other than that, there has been minor successes noted in adjustment of the feed back and changing fluid and filters.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
The L-Series Kubotas suffer from a series of bad 3pt valves. Mine was so bad, the rear of the tractor almost jumped off the ground.

The good news: The valve is easy to get to. Its located on the top cover to your rear end, located right under your seat... Here the cover is off and upside down on the bench. The valve is on the right end...

Here is a close-up of the L-3800 valve, likely the same on in your machine now...

Here is what is under that rear-end cover...

Now, the bad news.. The valve alone is $970. That is what my L-3800 valve ran (under warranty). Getting that valve installed correctly to make sure its adjusted right requires a shop manual and a boatload of patience. Clearly, the shop manual for your L-3400 is not going to give you details and measurements for substituting a Grand valve. Are they the same? Only someone who installed on can tell you. Getting it installed is easy. Getting it adjusted is a lot harder...

Attachments

kubby 2013

Equipment
May 13, 2013
Old Town, Maine
The L-Series Kubotas suffer from a series of bad 3pt valves. Mine was so bad, the rear of the tractor almost jumped off the ground.

The good news: The valve is easy to get to. Its located on the top cover to your rear end, located right under your seat... Here the cover is off and upside down on the bench. The valve is on the right end...

Here is a close-up of the L-3800 valve, likely the same on in your machine now...

Now, the bad news.. The valve alone is $970. That is what my L-3800 valve ran (under warranty). Getting that valve installed correctly to make sure its adjusted right requires a shop manual and a boatload of patience. Clearly, the shop manual for your L-3400 is not going to give you details and measurements for substituting a Grand valve. Are they the same? Only someone who installed on can tell you. Getting it installed is easy. Getting it adjusted is a lot harder...

So is it a matter of making some precision measurements or something else? I am a retired machinist so I have no problem with doing some precision measurements. From what I have seen at the dealers if they can do it a trained chimpanzee could.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Sounds like you won't have any problems.

The good news is, you can put the lid back on with a couple bolts, try the 3pt and pop the lid off in a minute or two to get the adjustments done correctly. There is no gasket for the lid and my tech sealed mine with a grey silicone gasket material.

Might be worth a case of your Kubota MX techs favorite adult beverage to get the adjustment specs for that swap. If you have local guys to ask, see what their suggestion is. And Messicks might have the part cheaper. Ask you local part guy if he'll match Messicks.

For the record, Kubota put a "new and supposedly improved" valve in mine. It "workie super-extra-goody" for over two years. At least my tractor doesn't look like I am trying to bounce like a low-rider. If they suggest the same valve for your machine, all you have to do is measure whatcha got and put it back together the same way.

kubby 2013

Equipment
May 13, 2013
Old Town, Maine
Thank you for the info. At least there is a solution available. Too bad they didn't issue a recall as this is a total disaster. That is the only fault I have with it. Have a 1990 L2850 that I bought new and it is a lot better built than the newer ones .IMO

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
You are very welcome.

The 3pt control valve is actually a pretty simple device. Based upon the position of the 3pt control lever, this valve either ports fluid to the 3pt piston to move the 3pt arms up, or bypasses pressure to let the let the pressure to the piston down. As you move the lever to raise and lower the 3pt, this valve is chasing the lever, trying to resolve it back to neutral pressure, That is why the adjustment has to be so precise.

Other than that, you can see the valve is only held in with two bolts. Pretty simple swap. And getting the rear end cover off is pretty easy. Just be sure to have an old T-shirt handy to cover up the rear ends gaping hole. They always tend to gobble up loose things!

By the way, if you do a swap on your valve, a write-up here would be very helpful. I did one of the warranty work with photos stored off site and the off site storage blocked access after they changed their business model. That thread is now missing all of the pictures and videos I included with it. Storing pictures on the site is fairly easy, once you get the process down.

Ray

kubby 2013

Equipment
May 13, 2013
Old Town, Maine
So is the pics the new valve or the old one? and what is the difference visually?

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx

Would you by chance have the part number for the Grand L valve?
I would really like to get this changed out on my L3800.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Sorry guys. The pics were shot at my dealer shop under warranty service. The valve you see was the new valve after installation. It was the "improved" L valve and I believe it had the exact same part number as the old part. You can see the number in the pics...

The Grand is a heftier machine and I think it has a Class 2 3pt. I have heard the valve can be installed in the L class but, I have no details on part number or installation details. Hydraulics being half magic anyway, I am guessing the Grand just has a slightly larger 3pt piston. The L's is huge already (see pic below)

If you guys uncover any, please share them with the Orange crowd.

I asked my service tech about it at the time and he said that "o-fish-ully" Kubota had no information about the swap. Being warranty service, he had to work inside of their rules. That meant a part for part swap with L-parts.

The piston is big on an L... about 4" in diameter!

Attachments

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
The 100% solution is to get a valve for a grand L.

Other than that, there has been minor successes noted in adjustment of the feed back and changing fluid and filters.
Wolfman, can you provide more info as to Grand L part number, Grand L model number, and any addition details or sources on this "fix"?

Thanks!!!