L-185 injection pump diagram?

michelle

Aug 12, 2009
mio, mi
Hi,
I recently inherited a mid 1970's Kubota L-185. Due to an alcohol fueled off-season attempt at "repairs" a decade or so ago, the injection pump is currently in pieces in a cigar box!

Is there a detailed manual available that shows EXACTLY how the 2 small gears that regulate the fuel flow to the injectors are indexed to the control rack?
There are some witness marks on the gears, but which way should they point (looking down into the bores, as if it were on the tractor) at idle or WOT?

Thank you very much for the valuable and informative site!

michelle

Aug 12, 2009
mio, mi
Thank you Vic,
I have the WSM, the owners manual & the "technical" manual, and they all show a blueprint like drawing of the injector, or a scatter-gun view of the parts to one, but nothing about how to initially assemble one to get everything aligned correctly!

I'm guessing that info is top-secret - for bosch dealer/rebuilder eyes only!

I can send it in and have it rebuilt for prices starting at 250.oo (minus parts), or I can buy a used one from WKTP for 300.oo (and then probably still have to get it rebuilt for 250.oo + -gee, thanks...) OR maybe buy a whole new assembly from Kubota that would almost make those prices seem reasonable, but I'd hate to spend that kind of money if all I need is to put back together what I have correctly!

michelle

Aug 12, 2009
mio, mi
does anyone have a junk Z-751-a injection pump that they would be willing to take apart to see exactly how the fuel supply gears are fitted to the control rack? I cant find any info anywhere (including here) about how these components are indexed to each other.

There are "timing marks" on the gears, but I dont know where these should fall in relation to the rack at idle or at full throttle. All I need is a picture or clear illistration (photograph) to get this tractor back in service.

If you have a truly worthless pump, but are too shy to peek inside and report back your findings, perhaps you could send it to me and I'll do the dirty deed.

All i need is look I'll pay the postage and I'll return it just like you sent it
AND I'll throw in a batch of home made cookies (theyre damn good!) for your troubles!

Otherwise, I'm junking this heap and getting a cub cadet....

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Diesel Injection Service is the answer!!!:D

Weather you ship your stuff to ATL, GA or other locations the pump is remanned for $200. They completely did my nozzles for $45 each with new springs, tips and needles, set pop pressure and spray pattern etc. Definately a less expensive option.

My pump is great so if I can get my engine back together it will run perfect.

michelle

Aug 12, 2009
mio, mi
Hiya Vic!,
I went to Zextel's website and found the manual, then I clicked on the pricing info page and that section comes up "not available" (not just the price for this single manual, but for ALL their manuals!)

It does suggest I cheque back in "January of 2009" (!!!) Wow. THATS a real confidence builder....>charge card gets slowly put back <

Please, please, all I need is one itty bitty picture or descriptive paragraph of how the gears that regulate fuel flow from the pump to the injectors are indexed to the control rack! Vic, If you could post just that much (without copywrite infringment?) from your copy I'd be eternally grateful!

Baring that, I will probably have to just send it off to a rebuilder as suggested, but I 'm sure I could get it running fine if I just had the info!

Far be for me, a relative Kubotobilia newcomer, to suggest a great topic for a new Kubota service video- but....

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Great Post Vic and the real lack of info is the fact that they operate so well with normal maintenance your average owner never has a worry with rebuilds. What a great site this is for true lovers of Orange! :D

cmh

Equipment
L185 : B6400
Aug 17, 2009
medina, ohio
I'd chip in $20.00 to ya to copy it / scan in and post the kd info here just for your efforts & help to all. let me know

michelle

Aug 12, 2009
mio, mi
THANK YOU VIC!
I think I can muddle through with that information.

I agree that the injection pump is a well designed unit that should operate trouble-free, but there is always the shade tree "mechanic" (my dad & uncle) who decide that it has failed and needs to be totally stripped down, only to realize too late that it was a clogged shut-off valve at the tank!

OH well, that kept it out of action for 15 years and kept it from racking up untold hours and wearing out everything else!
Thank you again, and if I get stuck again, you'll sure to hear about it....

P.S. I'll post a picture when its running!

michelle

Aug 12, 2009
mio, mi
Hey Vic,
Have you scanned that injection pump service bulletin yet?
I hate to be a pain, but my control rack has 2 sets of markings on it, 2 marks for each injector, so I STILL dont know where to point those gears!
I wasnt able to find it on the site, so if not, please consider having Mr. K earn his keep...
Thank you,
Michelle

getsmartt

Equipment
L235 - Loader - Drag Box
Mar 21, 2010
Spokane, WA, United States
Any update on the manual? I am having problems with a stuck fuel rack...and I do mean STUCK!...and was hoping for a reference manual before I started tearing into this thing

rhkc

Jun 20, 2010
virginia
michelle, did you ever get the diagram of the injection pump? I am getting ready to rebuild mine and this would b every helpful. thanks.

Bubbabilt

Premium Member

Equipment
v2203 engine
Nov 18, 2018
New Smyrna Beach
i am having a problem with my pump as well .has this info been published for us as yet ? , thanks , my pump sat still with no use for 5 years and once i turned her over the roller lifters in the pump went up and didn't come back down ,no lubrication and when i took her apart ,same problem ,with the marks , my pump is on a v2203 , can you share some info , thanks , Robert

thepumpguysc

Aug 8, 2018
Sunny South Carolina
If u search v2203 injection pump on google & go down to the Coleman site it gives u a good breakdown of the pump..
DO NOT break the top nuts loose.
Do all your work from the bottom.
The gears are marked w/ a cut tooth.. the cut goes into the marked control rack.
The hash mark on your sticking plungers {on the T piece} goes to the hash mark on the very top of the gear segments.
There are 2 marks on the gears.. 1 to engage the rack {on the tooth} & 1 to orient the pumping plunger.