Kx 121-3 ss hydraulic thumb problem

Mozzartusm

Feb 16, 2013
Collins, ms, USA
Just purchased this excavator and the hydraulic thumb doesn't work. When I push the switch I don't feel it click. Can someone tell me how to troubleshoot this issue.

KubotaTech

Equipment
None- I get to play with everyone elses stuff
Apr 1, 2010
PA
To operate the thumb on this machine you have to press the middle button on the display panel to activate the service port. Then use the rocker switch on your hand control to move thumb open and closed. If it doesnt work, be sure the light is on next to the activation button. There are a few flow settings that you can enter if you keep pressing the button, so be sure you only press it once, the light comes on, and the light is not flashing. Be sure the quarter turn valve located next to or on top of the hydraulic tank is in the 2 way position, not the one way position. If it is in the one way position the thumb will only operate in one direction. That is used if the excavator is used with a hydraulic breaker. The button does not normally click but it will beep and the light should light up red.

Mr Moo

Equipment
KX 121-3ss L3430
I have a thumb from USA attachments - I have broken the pivot pin twice in about 150 hours. USA attachments mentioned that I may need to lower the thumb pressure. I have the owners manual and service manual but I don't see any way to do it from the control panel. Does anyone know if there is a pressure regulator in that line ? Has anyone else had this problem ?

richedmonds

Oct 2, 2019
Hatfield Pa, USA
Just put a thumb on my kubota kx121-3
The function key beeps but does not light up
The thumb cylinder does not move
wondering if anyone know the function key circuit, I am thinking some thing is not in the right place so the function key will not work