Kubota's for Work or Play?

ptwyz

Equipment
BX2660, FEL, tiller, disc cultivator, tine cultivator, rear blade, MMM, & more!!
Jan 7, 2010
McCutchenville, Ohio, USA
Scott.... funny you'd mention a "K" convoy. I have four neighbors that own a Kubota of some kind. I have the B2410, my best friend across the street has a honk'n Kubota lawn tractor, two just down the street have large Kubota front end mowers, and the grand daddy of us all.... two doors down... has a fully tricked out L35 heated cab and all.

At Christmas time we light them up with home made 12V LED light strings :Dand form what you'd call "the convoy". I pull a 8x12 utility trailer lined with hay bales on which the neighborhood children (3 to let's just say well over 65 years old) for caroling.

My buddy puts a 6' blow up of an internally lighted Grinch on top of his cab. This makes for a couple hours of "Orange" fun.

Is this what you meant by convoy:rolleyes:
Uh Butch, if you had any pics of this Christmas "K" convoy, that would be really "K"ool to see.

Hint hint...

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
Geeze... I knew it would come to this.... what does a bunch of old farts do when it comes time to celebrate a fabulous Kubota caroling parade?

Well... seeing as I am a retired chemist... born and bred in the hills of WV and taught the ways of mountain folk from the early age of 10.... I followed in the foot steps of my pawpaw... check the attached pic

Can anyone guess what this is...?:p

I am well known in my neighborhood. If you all want to know a little background justy le me know.... By the way... Crown Royal is rot gut compared to pawpaw's recepie.... I am living testament. Butch

Attachments

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
WOW Butch, that thing is cool :eek:

I didn't know they came in a counter top version. In the movies there giant and take up quite a bit of land.

Very impressive, now I know why your so happy driving around on the tractor all the time :cool:

I'm not shocked to see brother handyman was so quick to recognize the mountain dew :D

Scott

Butch

Equipment
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
Actually it is is a 10 gallon copper pot still. It stands about 4' tall. Last fall I had the opportunity to lay my hands on 4 bushel of very ripe peaches. That was the first time I ever tried making peach "shine". Man was it strong!:eek: Came off at 154 proof.

Smoooooth as silk!:D

ptwyz

Equipment
BX2660, FEL, tiller, disc cultivator, tine cultivator, rear blade, MMM, & more!!
Jan 7, 2010
McCutchenville, Ohio, USA
Uh, Butch, peaches are my FAVORITE fruit, and now your telling me you made peach sipping brew :D. This is the second time today I have had a tear in my eye :eek:.

Oh, by the way, TOTALLY green with envy Butch :p.

Enjoy the sipping :).

Butch

Equipment
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
Strawberries.... oh yes.... all you have to do is add peptic to break down the fruit to release the sugars... ferment, filter, and cook off....

Last spring the berry "juice" came off at 149 proof. Once you got past the initial alcohol burn in the sip... the strawberry finish was as smooth as silk...

The "stuff" I make is ONLY the middle run. I discard the foreshot, initial heads, and tails or add then to the next batch to sqeeze out as much ethanol as possible.:)

That is why it is so Smoooooooooth!;)

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
...Actually it is is a 10 gallon copper pot still. It stands about 4' tall....

..Last spring the berry "juice" came off at 149 proof. Once you got past the initial alcohol burn in the sip... the strawberry finish was as smooth as silk...
Butch, that thing is a BEAST at 10 gals and four feet tall :eek:

Looking back at the picture I can see crown molding right behind it..NICE :cool:

I am wondering how you are able to find exactly what proof it is?

Scott

Tailrotor

Equipment
KUBOTA L45 AND BX2230
Feb 13, 2010
PA
Butch, that thing is a BEAST at 10 gals and four feet tall :eek:

Looking back at the picture I can see crown molding right behind it..NICE :cool:

I am wondering how you are able to find exactly what proof it is?

Scott
The first couple jugs off of Rye or Corn ( Hot ) are around 190 and it goes down from there. But love the RYE Smooth!!!!!!!:):):):)

Butch

Equipment
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
Scott... two ways of proofing "shine". Pawpaw used to shake it in a jar and observe the size of the bubbles against the glass and to see if it had what he called "legs" as the liquid drained from the side of the jar after shaking. He got it within +/- 10 proof by doing that.

Me I am not that good... I use an abv hydrometer that measures ethanol by volume in aqueous solution. There are several ways to calculate the alcohol content, however, for ethanol distillation and dilution to a more reasonable proof the hydrometer is the easiest and surest method.

I also use the hydrometer and thermometer to make make "cuts" during distillation.

Later... Butch

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Scott... two ways of proofing "shine". Pawpaw used to shake it in a jar and observe the size of the bubbles against the glass and to see if it had what he called "legs" as the liquid drained from the side of the jar after shaking. He got it within +/- 10 proof by doing that.

Me I am not that good... I use an abv hydrometer that measures ethanol by volume in aqueous solution. There are several ways to calculate the alcohol content, however, for ethanol distillation and dilution to a more reasonable proof the hydrometer is the easiest and surest method.

I also use the hydrometer and thermometer to make make "cuts" during distillation.

Later... Butch
Good Lord Butch, it's a good thing you're a chemist :eek:

With all you rum-runners posting on here I'm getting the feeling I'm missing out on a hooch ring!

Scott

Tailrotor

Equipment
KUBOTA L45 AND BX2230
Feb 13, 2010
PA

Later... Butch
Butch you must off grow up close to my neck off the woods in Pa. My in laws still use the bubble method and see have fast the bubbles clear and they can tell you if she's good or bad. Mountain Dew :D:D

Last edited:

Butch

Equipment
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
Tailrotor... where in Pa are ya? I I am dead south of Lancaster 4 miles into MD.

Tailrotor

Equipment
KUBOTA L45 AND BX2230
Feb 13, 2010
PA
Tailrotor... where in Pa are ya? I I am dead south of Lancaster 4 miles into MD.
Butch

I am over in the southwestern part of PA. Over around the seven springs area. Good old ridge runner.:D:D

Will In Tx

Equipment
L3400 HST/FEL, Box Blade, RTV 900 Camo, ZD323 Zreo Turn Pro Mower + More
Mar 21, 2010
Rosharon, TX. USA
Mine is used for work and play also. I have a small landscape business on the side and also use at home when ever I have time. Any reason to get seat time in the L45 is well worth the extra work.

Now this is one Real and Sexy Tractor
Tailrotor..
Where did you find the teeth for the front of the bucket? Love them :)
Will

Tailrotor

Equipment
KUBOTA L45 AND BX2230
Feb 13, 2010
PA
Tailrotor..
Where did you find the teeth for the front of the bucket? Love them :)
Will
Will

I got the teeth for the front bucket at the dealer when I bought the tractor. They work real good. Don't no the brand!! Just what ever they put on the tractor.