KubotaBX23s Starting problem

Olbuck75

Equipment
Kubota Tractor BX23
Aug 18, 2023
Kamuela, HI
Turn Start Switch ON, nothing...not even any panel lights. Turn to Start- nothing. Checked all fuses- all OK.
Checked connector to Start Switch- seemed Good. Opened Start Switch: inspected and cleaned.
I was an electronics technician in Navy and a CATV company for decades. An accurate electrical diagram would be very helpful. I feel like I'm missing something basic.

I don't live on my farm. Only go there once a month. Haven't tried to start tractor for about 2 months. Worked fine last time I used it. Could one of the safety switches cause these symptoms? I thought the ON position would trigger a fuel pump and a light. I get nothing., regardless of any Safety switch being off.

Any help would be appreciated.
Aloha

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
with your credentials, I don't want to step on your toes...

but, did you check connections at the battery and the battery itself?

If all of your fuses appear to be good, get your test light out to see if there is power to the panel. Assuming you have power to the panel, try wiggling all of the safety switches (PTO, HST and seat) while turning the key.

A google search should also turn up where you can download the BX23S WSM (work shop manual) for free or very little cost.

Last edited:

Olbuck75

Equipment
Kubota Tractor BX23
Aug 18, 2023
Kamuela, HI
with your credentials, I don't want to step on your toes...

but, did you check connections at the battery and the battery itself?

If all of your fuses appear to be good, get your test light out to see if there is power to the panel. Assuming you have power to the panel, try wiggling all of the safety switches (PTO, HST and seat) while turning the key.
Thank you so much for your feedback. Don't worry, I wasn't trying to brag- just wanted people to feel comfortable about sharing electrical info. I brought a new battery and I checked the connections and measured the voltage several times. I have "doing the wiggling" on my checklist when I head back to the farm. We live on our ranch about 50 miles away from the farm where tractor is. Also, I already put the test light on the vehicle for when we go back to farm.
We work and earn $$ on the ranch; then drive to the farm to work and LOSE $$$ on the farm :LOL:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Sounds like a safety switch issue, as it’s not cranking. There’s PTO and HST pedal switches I’d check.

I often hit my PTO engage/disengage lever when getting off…all it takes is 1/4”, and mine won’t crank….first thing I check.

6-8 times a year mine won’t crank because of that PTO lever…start simple.

As dirtydeed said, battery and connections could be suspect.

Pretty sure www.kubtabooks.com has the workshop/service manual.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Take jumper cables and bypass the battery cables by attaching the jumper cable to the starter positive post and to the starter attachment bolts for ground. See if that changes anything. If so, replace the battery cables.

Next try to just apply 12 volts to the solenoid spade connection and the starter should crank the engine. But it should not start with the key turned off. If it does crank, you can do this next step with great caution since you will not be safely sitting on the tractor. If it cranks then something like a safety switch or relay is stopping power from getting power to the solenoid.

Turn key to run position and then apply power to the solenoid spade and tractor should start unless there is some safety switch that will prevent it from running. If it does crank and run then figure out why power is not getting to the starter solenoid.

There is probably a main fuse somewhere near the battery or the starter so it may be blown. Was that in the “checked all”?

Olbuck75

Equipment
Kubota Tractor BX23
Aug 18, 2023
Kamuela, HI
Take jumper cables and bypass the battery cables by attaching the jumper cable to the starter positive post and to the starter attachment bolts for ground. See if that changes anything. If so, replace the battery cables.

Next try to just apply 12 volts to the solenoid spade connection and the starter should crank the engine. But it should not start with the key turned off. If it does crank, you can do this next step with great caution since you will not be safely sitting on the tractor. If it cranks then something like a safety switch or relay is stopping power from getting power to the solenoid.

Turn key to run position and then apply power to the solenoid spade and tractor should start unless there is some safety switch that will prevent it from running. If it does crank and run then figure out why power is not getting to the starter solenoid.

There is probably a main fuse somewhere near the battery or the starter so it may be blown. Was that in the “checked all”?
Thanks very much
I’ll do everything you suggest
Dumb question: Where is the starter solenoid?
I ordered a hard copy Manual from online
Will check out the link you mentioned
Aloha

Olbuck75

Equipment
Kubota Tractor BX23
Aug 18, 2023
Kamuela, HI
Sounds like a safety switch issue, as it’s not cranking. There’s PTO and HST pedal switches I’d check.

I often hit my PTO engage/disengage lever when getting off…all it takes is 1/4”, and mine won’t crank….first thing I check.

6-8 times a year mine won’t crank because of that PTO lever…start simple.

As dirtydeed said, battery and connections could be suspect.

Pretty sure www.kubtabooks.com has the workshop/service manual.
Thank you I’ll check

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Starter solenoid is ON the starter, has blk/wht wire to engage the spin the starter....

NO lights on dash.... good indicator that the main sloblow fuse( 50A) is blown.

ALL power except starter motor goes through the 50A sloblo fuse....

Jay

Olbuck75

Equipment
Kubota Tractor BX23
Aug 18, 2023
Kamuela, HI
Starter solenoid is ON the starter, has blk/wht wire to engage the spin the starter....

NO lights on dash.... good indicator that the main sloblow fuse( 50A) is blown.

ALL power except starter motor goes through the 50A sloblo fuse....

Jay
Just checked - you’re RIGHT!!
Now I gotta find who in rural Hawaii has that fuse
Thank you very much

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
according to kubota.can.... K277163910 is the fuse , about $20 here..
found this for a picture of it...

it 'might' be one of the newer automotive style fuses...so maybe NAPA ??

found this...
kinda similar but I'd HAVE to have it in my hand to compare .....

hope you find TWO of them !!!

BIG question is WHY did it blow since none of the other fuse blew !!!!

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Great call Jay. You da man , man.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
I try to help when I can. Dang with all the rain here, can't go outside to play..sniff,sniff.

yuck...from the feds just now....
Conditions are favourable for the development of severe thunderstorms that may be capable of producing large hail and heavy rain. Hazards: Nickel to toonie size hail. Torrential rainfall producing local amounts of 30 to 50 mm.
two hours ago it was going to be SUNNY tomorrow !

Tend to buy things in twos, like Noah.....rather have a spare on the shelf, collecting dust, than NEED it friday after the store closes for the long weekend !

also it's cheaper to make ONE trip to buy 2, than TWO trips, one at a time.....
I did buy TWO Kubota orange spray cans the other day...made the loader frame look better.
FWIW. I turn the USED can upside down so I know which one to use next time.....

Olbuck75

Equipment
Kubota Tractor BX23
Aug 18, 2023
Kamuela, HI
This is what's great about this forum... helping fellow Kubota folks out! 😊
according to kubota.can.... K277163910 is the fuse , about $20 here..
found this for a picture of it...

it 'might' be one of the newer automotive style fuses...so maybe NAPA ??

found this...
kinda similar but I'd HAVE to have it in my hand to compare .....

hope you find TWO of them !!!

BIG question is WHY did it blow since none of the other fuse blew !!!!
Yes what the heck happened?
Thank you all
Got the original in my hand
Will try both NAPA and the link
If can I’ll buy both-rather have both in my hand
My time alone is worth more than the fuse…I think

Olbuck75

Equipment
Kubota Tractor BX23
Aug 18, 2023
Kamuela, HI
Thanks again to everyone
I really have to concentrate on the ranch for a month or so
There’s an equipment mechanic (makes house calls) who has done jobs for me. He’s going to be in the farm neighborhood so I’ll pay him to check it out
Aloha

Olbuck75

Equipment
Kubota Tractor BX23
Aug 18, 2023
Kamuela, HI
Thanks again to everyone
I really have to concentrate on the ranch for a month or so
There’s an equipment mechanic (makes house calls) who has done jobs for me. He’s going to be in the farm neighborhood so I’ll pay him to check it out
Aloha
Of course I’ll meet him there and learn what I can

TheMurf

Equipment
BX1880.with loader and 48 inch deck. 1990 Gravel 12G Riding tractor.
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
I always check the simple stuff first. Make sure you seat is properly secure ( all the way down ) If not, the tractor will not turn over. All the lights on the dash will come in but the machine will not turn over..