Kubota ZD326 & 72" deck - Enough power?

PsRumors

Feb 21, 2016
Cartersville, Georgia
I am looking to buy a diesel ZTR and am just about settled on a Kubota. I'll be cutting my 5 acres and my dad's 7 every week.

The nearest dealer has two left over ZD326, one with a 60" deck and one with a 72" deck. Is the 26hp diesel big enough to efficiently run the 72" deck?

I'd love to find a ZD331 new on a lot but have not had any luck.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I am looking to buy a diesel ZTR and am just about settled on a Kubota. I'll be cutting my 5 acres and my dad's 7 every week.

The nearest dealer has two left over ZD326, one with a 60" deck and one with a 72" deck. Is the 26hp diesel big enough to efficiently run the 72" deck?

I'd love to find a ZD331 new on a lot but have not had any luck.
Looking at the newest version of that mower:

http://www.kubota.com/product/z300/z300.aspx

the ZD327 does NOT come with 72" .....is comes with the 60"!

looking further :

http://www.kubota.com/assets/product/comps/z300/Z300Comps.pdf

the ZD326 DID NOT come with the 72" according to the specs.

IF you are going to cut "real" heavy grass - I might stay with the 5' - if the grass is not that heavy, you might be able to get by with the 6' - also the height at which you cut will be a determining factor.

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Either way, those kubota diesel ztr's will move along pretty fast :eek: landscaping company that the shop uses, has one. We forgot to tell the guy about some ruts we put in out back :eek:

Guy hit it going full tilt :D there was a four foot patch that he missed when he was airborne :rolleyes:

What you might be missing on cutting width, you can make up in speed as long as the area is smooth ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PsRumors

Feb 21, 2016
Cartersville, Georgia
Looking at the newest version of that mower:

http://www.kubota.com/product/z300/z300.aspx

the ZD327 does NOT come with 72" .....is comes with the 60"!

looking further :

http://www.kubota.com/assets/product/comps/z300/Z300Comps.pdf

the ZD326 DID NOT come with the 72" according to the specs.

IF you are going to cut "real" heavy grass - I might stay with the 5' - if the grass is not that heavy, you might be able to get by with the 6' - also the height at which you cut will be a determining factor.
I don't know why the specs don't show the 72 coupled to the 326 but it did come that way, seen one in person and there are 4 on tractor house

http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/li...OTA&Mdltxt=ZD326HL-72&mdlx=exact&units=metric

PsRumors

Feb 21, 2016
Cartersville, Georgia
I guess this is why the specs don't match up

https://www.kubota.com/AboutKubota/PressReleases/KubotaNews-KubotaEnhancesZ300Line.aspx

TORRANCE, Calif. (May 29, 2014) – Kubota Tractor Corporation introduces a new member to its Z300 Series zero-turn mower fleet with the ZD326H. Designed for turf care professionals and large property owners alike, the new diesel model is built Kubota-tough to handle long days of dedicated landscaping with ease. With a perfect balance of performance, efficiency and comfort, the ZD326H and its newly designed 72-inch shaft driven commercial mower deck will quickly rise to the top of an operator's must-have list.
The new ZD326H features a greater engine displacement of 1123 cubic centimeters, delivering more torque to manicure large areas with strength and efficiency.
The dealer is going to let me demo the unit to see if I in fact like the 72" deck and believe it has enough power.

jcummins

Equipment
Kubota M7040, F3680, JD Gator 855D
Oct 19, 2013
Creal Springs, IL
If you get into tall grass...no....but in those circumstance, just slow down. ZD326 with 60" performs great and impressive, but if you are in constant taller grass, you'll not like the 72".

Digger Dager

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M59 TLB, B3200 w/front snow blower, 3 @ ZD326 62" rear discharge mowers
PsRumors,
I work for a medium sized traditional cemetery in northeast Indiana. We have had a ZD326 for several years, and just bought a second one this fall. Both have the rear discharge 60" deck. They are wonderful. Plenty of power, even when the grass gets ahead of us. Very maneuverable around the stones and monuments. The bonus of the rear discharge is the grass doesn't blow all over the stones, OR the operators. On windy days the grass stays on the ground, and doesn't become airborne. We added the hard canopy to both for shade.
And the older ZD326's don't have the new Tier4 crap to worry about. :D

stil190

Apr 23, 2016
Indiana
Are you satisfied with the power of the ZD326H? Curious how it compares to the ZD331? Does ZD336H have enough power for heavy grass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PsRumors

Feb 21, 2016
Cartersville, Georgia
With 20 hours now on the mower I can say it has plenty of power and I am more than satisfied.

Monday I'll be replacing the stock turf tires with Carlisle WT300 tires, basically a R4, to see if I can get a little better traction.

The mower uses less than a gallon of fuel even in the deep stuff.

Attachments

highcountrybarry

Mar 20, 2016
Fleetwood, NC
Please report back on the tires. I have a ZD326 and depending on moisture, fight traction problems at times. I have even considered fluid in the tires.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rtgt

Equipment
B3200
Jul 30, 2015
Kentucky
Ended up buying the ZD326H with 72" deck. Have only used it half a hour so far but am very impressed
Congrats on the new ZD PsRumors!

Very nice looking machine.

I just picked up a Z723. There was a big puddle of drool around the ZD's though.

PsRumors

Feb 21, 2016
Cartersville, Georgia
Please report back on the tires. I have a ZD326 and depending on moisture, fight traction problems at times. I have even considered fluid in the tires.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Got the Carlisle WT300 tires mounted and cut some grass. Tires made a huge difference in traction resulting in less torn turf. I am able to stop from full speed faster and make turns quicker.

I didn't have time to get on the steep hills but expect to see the same result, better traction.

Attachments

rtgt

Equipment
B3200
Jul 30, 2015
Kentucky
Got the Carlisle WT300 tires mounted and cut some grass. Tires made a huge difference in traction resulting in less torn turf. I am able to stop from full speed faster and make turns quicker.

I didn't have time to get on the steep hills but expect to see the same result, better traction.
Those look awesome PsRumors! :cool:

jcummins

Equipment
Oct 19, 2013
Creal Springs, IL

Be interested on you reporting back how this works on the hills. I had a ZD326...and I was getting it stuck ALL the time around pond areas. Ponds dams just could not keep it from skating to the bottom. Got an F series now, and can side hill the pond dams. But I must say...those tires look great. The F series has 24x12x12, slightly smaller....and wish those tires come in that size. I'd like to try them on the F series.

aeronutt

Equipment
Z725 Mower, MX5200 w/FEL, Stihl 660, assorted others...
Jan 7, 2016
Omaha NE
Be interested on you reporting back how this works on the hills. I had a ZD326...and I was getting it stuck ALL the time around pond areas. Ponds dams just could not keep it from skating to the bottom. Got an F series now, and can side hill the pond dams. But I must say...those tires look great. The F series has 24x12x12, slightly smaller....and wish those tires come in that size. I'd like to try them on the F series.
I think it's ironic that "turf" tires tear up the turf too much so we're switching to more aggressive tires to reduce damage to turf. And it works! Plus we don't get stuck. Carlisle AT101 tires come in 24x12-12, but I'm afraid to order them for my Z725 for fear that the size is a half inch bigger and won't fit under my fenders. There's almost no clearance between the stock tire tread and the plastic fenders.

jcummins

Equipment
Oct 19, 2013
Creal Springs, IL
I think it's ironic that "turf" tires tear up the turf too much so we're switching to more aggressive tires to reduce damage to turf. And it works! Plus we don't get stuck. Carlisle AT101 tires come in 24x12-12, but I'm afraid to order them for my Z725 for fear that the size is a half inch bigger and won't fit under my fenders. There's almost no clearance between the stock tire tread and the plastic fenders.
The tire sizes in these categories are not exact, meaning different brands same sizes will measure different.

Yes seen the AT101, but for whatever reason I don't like that thread pattern. The WT300 I do.

The Carlisle HD Trax thread pattern I like....but those tires don't have enough plies, concerned about flex/etc.