Kubota Z121SKH will not crank hot

armandodiaz

Equipment
Z121SKH
Mar 15, 2019
Sanford, FL
After mowing for a while, and then tuning it off, when I go to restart it, it will not start.
If I leave it alone till morning it will restart. However, if I need to use it immediately, I have to jump the 2 solenoid leads.
I'm not sure if its a common problem. Could it be an easy fix, like a new solenoid?

Thanks,
Armando

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I had a run of starter problems last year on my ZD mowers. Similar symptoms, although it progressed to just clicking even on cold starts.
I ended up adding a relay kit for the starter wire that powers the solenoid. The relay provides power to the solenoid directly from the positive battery cable rather than a (potentially) lower voltage from the starter switch. This worked for a while, but I eventually replaced the solenoid and haven't had a problem since.

In my case, I suspect low voltage from the ignition wire resulted in a high current activation of the solenoid, arcing and damaging the solenoid contacts. For good measure I also wrapped the starter / solenoid in reflective heat shielding to keep the temps down (mine sits right under the exhaust manifold).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Could be a couple of things.

....brake switches have been problematic, however Kubota will replace the original, depending on the serial number of your particular machine. Give a dealer your SN and ask them if the confidence campaign applies, and what part of it applies to YOUR mower. It's a multi-part fix, depending on the serial number it might get one or more of brake switch kit, HST belt tension spring, belt guard kit, 48" deck tension arm update kit and fuel pickup tube/shutoff valve. I had mine done and it needed all of those, and to this day, the brake switch hasn't given me any problem at all. The new switch is sealed up better and has a metal tab that pushes against it rather than the brake are pushing it directly.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas

....brake switches have been problematic, however Kubota will replace the original, depending on the serial number of your particular machine. Give a dealer your SN and ask them if the confidence campaign applies, and what part of it applies to YOUR mower. It's a multi-part fix, depending on the serial number it might get one or more of brake switch kit, HST belt tension spring, belt guard kit, 48" deck tension arm update kit and fuel pickup tube/shutoff valve. I had mine done and it needed all of those, and to this day, the brake switch hasn't given me any problem at all. The new switch is sealed up better and has a metal tab that pushes against it rather than the brake are pushing it directly.
Thanks for the info. I have one as well. Been pretty flawless so far, but only has about 80 hours on it.

armandodiaz

Equipment
Z121SKH
Mar 15, 2019
Sanford, FL

Thanks, I have a zero-turn. I don't have any brakes. Or do you mean parking brake?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
The lever on the left that you have to yank backward to start the engine, and once started, you have to let it go forward or the motor dies when you pull the control levers in. Or....at least...that's the way it's supposed to work if the brake switch works properly. It's a NO/NC switch.