Kubota Wood Splitter PTO Auger Attachment - Safe?

JerryC999

Equipment
B7100HST
Aug 16, 2014
Simpsonville, KY
I have just obtained a wood splitter auger that attaches to my 3 pt hitch and PTO on my. Anyone have experience with these? I hear they call them "widow makers" (I can see why). But I also hear they are great at splitting wood.

This one seems very minimal, without frame, foundation, etc. I have no idea how old it is, but it sure is in good shape and barely used. What maintenance should I do about bearings, shaft, etc.?

And how do I make it safe to use?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
They scare me,,, having said that go to youtube and look around,, you will see some that they have put a metal plate all the way across ,so the log sits on the plate and is held in place, and not able to go spinning in the air, a much safer way of using it I think,,

Something like this

https://youtu.be/StPvSRLKZMs?t=74

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Obviously it can be dangerous. Note the wood platform one guy uses. That keeps the lever arm of the device very short so the tendency to flip over and have the log rotate along with the screw. Unless you are well back from the screw and have no loose clothing, you MAY be safe. Definitely a second person there is needed and a Kill switch handy.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
In my humble opinion....using one of those is like cleaning a loaded gun.
Sooner or later someone will get hurt very bad.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
yeah they are horrible..... the kiss of death....... get rid of it fast...... just send it to me for your own protection :D:D:D

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
I have just obtained a wood splitter auger ...
  1. Can you investigate if the Unicorn/Cone screw is removable so it can be replaced?
  2. Please attach photos and not host them elsewhere. This helps Keep our library of information intact.

JerryC999

Equipment
B7100HST
Aug 16, 2014
Simpsonville, KY
Well, folks. Seems like the usual mix of "do" and "don't" - as in "risky, but manageable like most things.

I like the idea of a metal base with holes around the edge for a lever one can use to base an arm to lean against the wood. A good way to keep some distance. My thinking is that I can use the tounge of my trailer, hitched to the tractor along with the auger, to act as a base. I will post a picture.

I guess the real problem is the exposed spinning auger bit with no shield and no shut off. The videos of folks just shoving wood against it with their hands does make me nervous.

JerryC999

Equipment
B7100HST
Aug 16, 2014
Simpsonville, KY
Either the cone or the cone + shaft is removable, and so replaceable. I will have to take a closer look.

BTW, how would one lubricate such a spinning shaft? I see no grease points, oil holes, etc. You could grease or oil the entire shaft, I suppose. Any ideas?

I will look into some kind of kill switch for the tractor that could be reached from the PTO area. Could just tie a string to the throttle/decompression lever.

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Either the cone or the cone + shaft is removable, and so replaceable. I will have to take a closer look....
Thanks... look forward to what you discover.

Kubota BX 1860

Equipment
BX 1860, oops, traded it for a BX2370
Jun 23, 2011
Raymond, ME
I've used one of those for quite some time and had good luck with it. Does it look lethal? Yes. But in practice, it's simple to use and I believe safe. Go for it.