Kubota tiller question

Fastball

Equipment
L2900, rear blade, finish mower, 200l sprayer, landscape rake
Feb 9, 2017
North Okanagan, British Columbia
Hi all. Just picked up a Kubota tiller, only to find it’s one of those “grey market” kinds, so I don’t have any working documentation...not in English, at least.
Question is for maintenance. I assume it’s chain-drive. There’s a filler cap on top, and a bolt on either side. I am guessing the the bolt on the lower left is a fill level check hole? The extension on the right....draining? 90-weight gear oil should be OK?

Attachments

Ironman2

Equipment
L185 or L1501, tiller, brush mower
Aug 28, 2018
Warburg, AB, Canada
Hi all. Just picked up a Kubota tiller, only to find it***8217;s one of those ***8220;grey market***8221; kinds, so I don***8217;t have any working documentation...not in English, at least.
Question is for maintenance. I assume it***8217;s chain-drive. There***8217;s a filler cap on top, and a bolt on either side. I am guessing the the bolt on the lower left is a fill level check hole? The extension on the right....draining? 90-weight gear oil should be OK?
I think you have it right. The higher plug would be filling and the lower one is a level check.
Did you buy it in Kamloops?

Fastball

Equipment
Feb 9, 2017
I think you have it right. The higher plug would be filling and the lower one is a level check.
Did you buy it in Kamloops?
No, the seller was in Salmon Arm, and actually dropped the tiller off for me as he was on his way to town anyways. I had been looking for months for an affordable used tiller when he contacted me. I snapped this one up, despite my trepidation about it being a grey market unit. Ironically, a day or so later a used FarmBoy unit comes up for sale, for cheaper. Then a neighbour comes over and says he just bought a new tiller and offered to do anything I needed done.
Sigh.

Ironman2

Equipment
Aug 28, 2018
Warburg, AB, Canada
I was wondering, as there was 2- 48" tillers for sale in Kamloops and one was a Kubota, other was a Chinese one. Both were $400, I chose the Chinese one, it seemed better quality.
I had to extend the ears for the 3 point arms as it was touching the tires when hooked up. Of course when I did that, I also had to extend the PTO drive shaft. It was a simple job and it is a great tiller.
We just planted 3000 garlic and I have never had a nicer bed for planting.

Fastball

Equipment
Feb 9, 2017
I was wondering, as there was 2- 48" tillers for sale in Kamloops and one was a Kubota, other was a Chinese one. Both were $400, I chose the Chinese one, it seemed better quality.
I had to extend the ears for the 3 point arms as it was touching the tires when hooked up. Of course when I did that, I also had to extend the PTO drive shaft. It was a simple job and it is a great tiller.
We just planted 3000 garlic and I have never had a nicer bed for planting.
I looked at Kijiji and Craigslist, but didn’t see anything for Kamloops.
How do you extend your arms?

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Hi all. Just picked up a Kubota tiller, only to find it’s one of those “grey market” kinds, so I don’t have any working documentation...not in English, at least.
Question is for maintenance. I assume it’s chain-drive. There’s a filler cap on top, and a bolt on either side. I am guessing the the bolt on the lower left is a fill level check hole? The extension on the right....draining? 90-weight gear oil should be OK?
This is just a guess but I think the one on the right is not for oil but is to tension the chain.

Ironman2

Equipment
Aug 28, 2018
Warburg, AB, Canada
I looked at Kijiji and Craigslist, but didn’t see anything for Kamloops.
How do you extend your arms?
The ad was in August, I assume it is pulled.
I just welded a piece of 1/2" plate to the existing arms and then drilling a 3/4" hole for the CAT1 pins. I basically moved the pins forward 5" from the former position.
The existing drive shaft was a square tube over a solid bar type. I cut off the driveshaft tubing flush with the back of the U joint, then went on a search through my resource pile for some tubing. I had nothing suitable so went to the JD dealer and they would sell me 5 ft of triangle tubing way too big for $98. So I went down the road to the Case dealer and bought what I needed for $20 tax in.
I measured the distance from PTO locking groove to locking groove at 18" and cut the tubing so that when collapsed the driveshaft would be 16" locking pin to pin. I just center the tubes on the end of the yokes and welded it on.